Project Volumes are areas of disk space that must be requested. They are distinct from your private Andrew File System (AFS) disk space.
- used to accommodate storage of a large number of files associated with a project when there is not enough space in your personal account.
- used in situations where you want to allow others access to your project files but don't want to use your personal account.
- Project Volumes expire one year from the date of creation; email notification is sent in advance. If necessary, you may request an extension for another year.
Project Volume Types
The following types of Project Volumes are available:
Course Project Volume
- Granted to faculty or teaching assistants to support course work.
- Web publishing is available through www.andrew.cmu.edu publishing (course.web).
- Created in the /afs/andrew/course/ tree.
- REQUEST: To request a course project volume, complete the Project Volume form for courses
- Typically granted to departments (CS, CFA, etc.)
- Created in the /afs/andrew/yourdeptname/
- REQUEST: To request this type of project volume complete the Project Volume form for other purposes
Ownership of Materials in Project Volumes
Below are general guidelines for ownership of materials stored in project volumes. In this context, ownership refers to intellectual rights to the material in the volume, not the "owner" user ID in the project volume request.
- Undergraduate research and non-funded graduate research is the sole property of the person for whom the project volume is created.
Note: Although in this case the data belongs solely to the student, the space is allocated to the academic advisor and the duration of the allocation is the decision of the academic advisor.
- Funded research is the property of the user, the principle investigator and the university.
- Teaching materials are the sole property of the faculty/staff member for whom the project volume was created.
- Project space created for employees for work purposes is the property of their supervisor and the university.
- Volumes owned solely by the person for whom they were created will be removed from the system when that person leaves the university unless the owner requests in advance that the space and materials be turned over to their department or to a colleague.
- Except as noted above, volumes will not be removed from the system on or after the expiration date without first attempting to contact the owner or sponsor to determine if an extension is needed.
- Volumes that are jointly owned will not be removed from the system until the appropriate supervisor or faculty advisor has been contacted.
Last Updated: 9/9/14