Frequently Asked Questions: Box Cloud Storage
Privacy and Security
Apps and Accessibility
Who is eligible to use Box?
All Carnegie Mellon students, staff, and faculty members are eligible to use the Box service. Sponsored Carnegie Mellon accounts are not eligible. If your student, faculty, or staff account is converted to a sponsored account, you will lose access to your Box account.
If I create a CMU Box account, can I also have a free personal Box.com account?
Yes. If you currently have a free personal account through Box.com that uses your CMU email address for the account name, contact the Help Center (call 412.268.4357 or email email@example.com) for information about your options.
Can I increase my storage quota?
There is a limit of 50GB for each CMU Box account. For additional storage, you may wish to explore the other file storage options available to you.
What is the file size limit when uploading?
There is a 5GB file size limit for CMU Box accounts.
Can I associate alternative email addresses (aliases) with my Box account?
Yes. Box added the ability to associate alternative email addresses or aliases with your primary box account. To add an alias as a secondary Box email address, follow these steps:
- Login from cmu.box.com
- Click the Gear icon (View/Edit Profile) and select Account Settings.
- Click Account.
- Under the "Login and Email Addresses" section, click Add more emails.
- Type your email alias in the textbox and click Save.
- You will receive an email response to this change. To confirm the change, be sure to click the link included in the email message.
- The alias is added to your primary account.
For additional details on alternative email addresses, visit the Box website.
Can I create or use groups with my CMU Box account?
No, currently you cannot create or use groups with your CMU Box account. If you wish to invite multiple collaborators, enter each email address separately. Either separate each address with a comma, or press enter after each address.
What happens to my Box storage space when I graduate or leave the university?
- Students: Your Box account, along with other services related to your Andrew account, will expire 90 days after your graduation.
- Staff and faculty members: Your Box account will expire 21 days after leaving the university. However, your department may elect to cancel this service immediately.
Can I download my Box data?
Yes. Follow the steps below to create a compressed file of your Box data.
- Login to your CMU Box account.
- Select the files/folders you want to download. To quickly highlight all files and folders on a page, select the checkbox in the upper right.
- Click the down arrow to the right of the folder's name and choose Download.
Note: If Download does not display, uncheck the files/folders that are preventing the download. These may be shared files.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to save your Box data to your computer.
- Repeat Steps 2 through 4 for each page of Box data that you want to download.
IMPORTANT: Be sure not to overwrite the compressed file that you already downloaded.
Additional information on downloading files is available from the Box website.
How do I transfer ownership of one of my Box folders to another Box user?
- With a browser, go into the folder for which you want to transfer ownership.
- Invite the Box user as a collaborator of the folder and grant the Box user "Folder Owner" access to the folder.
Upon granting the Box user ownership of your folder, your access to the folder will change from Folder Owner to Editor. Also, any other collaborators of the folder will now find the folder in their Box root folder, if it isn't already there.
Privacy and Security
What type of data am I permitted to store in my CMU Box account?
For faculty and staff members, Restricted Data (data deemed sensitive by the institution) may not be appropriate for use with your CMU Box account. We strongly encourage you to review the Information Security Office's detailed guidelines for storing content in Box.
For students, most of your documents can be safely stored in your CMU Box account. Use caution when storing documents that contain sensitive information such as your Social Security number or credit card information.
Who can see my files and folders within my Box account?
By default, all files, folders and links are created with "collaborators only" sharing rights. Detailed information on sharing files is available on the Box website.
Is my CMU Box account secure?
Yes. CMU Box accounts use an encrypted connection for all uploads and downloads. Once your files are uploaded, they're encrypted in storage.
How does Box protect my data?
Box protects data using login authentication, access controls, and encryption. When you access cmu.box.com, you will first be redirected to login.cmu.edu to authenticate. Access to the files you store in Box is controlled by the permissions you set. By default, access is private to the account holder. All communication with Box from your computer or mobile device is encrypted using SSL and data is encrypted in storage using 256-bit AES encryption. Other security features include file-level password protection, access notification, and access expirate date. Additional information can be found by reading Box’s security whitepaper.
Does Box back up my data?
Box takes steps to back up your data to protect against system failures. However, it is important to note that changes made by a user can have a lasting effect. If a file is overwritten or becomes corrupt, it may not be recoverable. Each CMU Box account has a Trash folder where deleted files can be recovered. However, once the Trash is emptied, files may not be recoverable. Files do stay on the Box servers for short period of time after the Trash is emptied; however, a ticket will need to be opened with Box to determine whether a file or folder is actually recoverable. Box also maintains a document’s version history. If used correctly, a user can recall previous versions of a document. This could allow a user to recover from inadvertent changes.
Apps and Accessibility
Can I use Box on my mobile device?
Yes. For detailed information, visit support.box.com and click Box Mobile Apps.
What apps are available for use with CMU Box accounts?
- Box for Android
- Box for Android tablet
- Box for iPad
- Box for iPhone
- Box for Windows Phone
- Box Edit
- Box Sync for Mac
- Box Sync for Windows
- Box for Windows 8
- Box for Office
- Box for Outlook
- PDF Expert for iPad
Help with installing and managing apps is available at the Box website.
Why can't I use my Andrew ID and password for all apps?
If an app does not appear to support single sign-on, enter your CMU Box username but leave the password field blank before selecting the login button. This may direct you to CMU's Web Login (single sign-on) page.
With apps such as Box Sync and Box for iPad, look for an option such as More login options or Use my company's single sign-on credentials in the login window. These options may direct you to CMU's Web Login (single sign-on) page.
An app that does not support single sign-on will require that you enter your Box username and password.
How do I change my Box account password?
Your Box account was created with an unknown preset password. Follow these steps to reset the password:
- Visit box.cmu.edu and click Log In.
- Click the gear icon located in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select Account Settings from the dropdown menu.
- From the Account tab, locate the Create External Password section.
- Click Edit Password and enter a new password.
- Click Save to apply the new password.
To successfully set a new password, it must:
- Be at least 8 characters in length
- Include at least 1 number
- Include at least 1 special character (e.g. !@/$&)
- Include at least 1 uppercase letter
- Not be a common word or email address
- Not be any of your last 5 Box passwords
Can I request that an app be enabled for use with the CMU Box service?
Yes. Submit your request to the Computing Services Help Center. The Box service staff will enable the app if it meets quality and support criteria. If enabled, the app will be listed as a supported app in the Box pages.