Frequently Asked Questions: Box Cloud Storage
- Who is eligible to use Box?
- If I create a CMU Box account, can I also have a free personal Box.com account?
- Can I increase my storage quota?
- What is the maximum file size I can upload?
- Can I associate alternative email addresses (aliases) with my Box account?
- Can I create or use groups with my CMU Box account?
- What happens to my Box storage space when I graduate or leave the university?
- How can I transfer my Box folders to another Box account?
Privacy and Security
Apps and Accessibility
- Can I use Box on my mobile device?
- What apps are available for use with CMU Box accounts?
- Why can't I use my Andrew ID and password for all apps?
- How do I reset my Box account password?
- Can I request than an app be enabled for use with the CMU Box service?
- Is there an accessibility site designed for visually impaired?
All Carnegie Mellon students, staff, and faculty members are eligible to use the Box service. Sponsored Carnegie Mellon accounts are not eligible. If your student, faculty, or staff account is converted to a sponsored account, you will lose access to your Box account.
Yes. If you currently have a free personal account through Box.com that uses your CMU email address for the account name, contact the Help Center (call 412.268.4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org) for information about your options.
There is a limit of 100GB for each CMU Box account. For additional storage, you may wish to explore the other file storage options available to you.
There is a 10GB file size limit for CMU Box accounts.
Yes. Your CMU Box account's primary email address is your Andrew email address. By associating secondary email addresses (aliases) with your CMU Box account, any Box collaboration invites addressed to your secondary addresses will be directed to your CMU Box account.
For instructions and additional details, visit Can I Add Multiple Email Aliases To My Box account.
No, currently you cannot create or use groups with your CMU Box account. If you wish to invite multiple collaborators, enter each email address separately. Either separate each address with a comma, or press enter after each address.
- Students: Your Box account, along with other services related to your Andrew account, will expire 90 days after your graduation.
- Staff and faculty members: Your Box account will expire 21 days after leaving the university. However, your department may elect to cancel this service immediately.
- With a browser, go into the folder for which you want to transfer ownership.
- Invite the Box user as a collaborator of the folder and grant the Box user "Folder Owner" access to the folder.
Upon granting the Box user ownership of your folder, your access to the folder will change from Folder Owner to Editor. Also, any other collaborators of the folder will now find the folder in their Box root folder, if it isn't already there.
Privacy and Security
For faculty and staff members, Restricted Data (data deemed sensitive by the institution) may not be appropriate for use with your CMU Box account. We strongly encourage you to review the Information Security Office's detailed guidelines for storing content in Box.
For students, most of your documents can be safely stored in your CMU Box account. Use caution when storing documents that contain sensitive information such as your Social Security number or credit card information.
By default, no one else can see the content of your CMU Box account.
But, because your Box files and folders may be accessed from your computer's desktop (with the Box Sync app), as well as from mobile devices, take the necessary precautions to secure these access points.
To share folder or file within Box, you can:
- send a collaboration invite
- create and disseminate the file's or folder's shared link
- make the item accessible within a frame on your web page
Visit the Box page on Collaboration and Sharing for more details.
Box protects data using login authentication, access controls, and encryption. When you access box.cmu.edu and click "Log In" you will first be redirected to login.cmu.edu to authenticate. Access to the files you store in Box is controlled by the permissions you set. By default, access is private to the account holder. All communication with Box from your computer or mobile device is encrypted using SSL and data is encrypted in storage using 256-bit AES encryption. Other security features include file-level password protection, access notification, and access expiration date. Additional information can be found by reading Box’s security whitepaper.
If a file is overwritten or becomes corrupt, it may not be recoverable. Each CMU Box account has a Trash folder where deleted files can be recovered. However, once the Trash is emptied, files may not be recoverable. Files do stay on the Box servers for short period of time after the Trash is emptied; however, a ticket will need to be opened with Box to determine whether a file or folder is actually recoverable. Box also maintains a document’s version history. If used correctly, a user can recall previous versions of a document. This could allow a user to recover from inadvertent changes.
Apps and Accessibility
Yes. For detailed information, visit support.box.com and click Box Mobile Apps.
- Box for Android
- Box for Android tablet
- Box for iPad
- Box for iPhone
- Box for Windows Phone
- Box Edit
- Box Sync for Mac
- Box Sync for Windows
- Box for Windows 8
- Box for Office
- Box for Outlook
- PDF Expert for iPad
Help with installing and managing apps is available at the Box website.
If an app does not appear to support single sign-on, enter your CMU Box username but leave the password field blank before selecting the login button. This may direct you to CMU's Web Login (single sign-on) page.
With apps such as Box Sync and Box for iPad, look for an option such as More login options or Use my company's single sign-on credentials in the login window. These options may direct you to CMU's Web Login (single sign-on) page.
An app that does not support single sign-on will require that you enter your Box username and password.
Your Box account was created with an unknown preset password. Follow these steps to reset the password:
- Visit box.cmu.edu and click Log In.
- Click your name in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select Account Settings from the dropdown menu.
- From the Account tab, locate the Create External Password section.
- Click Edit Password and enter a new password.
- Click Save to apply the new password.
To successfully set a new password, it must:
- Be at least 8 characters in length
- Include at least 1 number
- Include at least 1 special character (e.g. !@/$&)
- Include at least 1 uppercase letter
- Not be a common word or email address
- Not be any of your last 5 Box passwords
Yes. Submit your request to the Computing Services Help Center. The Box service staff will enable the app if it meets quality and support criteria. If enabled, the app will be listed as a supported app in the Box pages.
Yes. The web address is a.box.com. On that page:
- Select "Use Company credentials"
- Enter your Box username in the "Email Address" box
- Select "Log In"
These steps take you to Carnegie Mellon's Web Login page where you then log in to your Box account by supplying your Andrew ID and password.