CMU Alumni Awards Nominations
Alumni Award honorees are selected annually by members of the Alumni Association Board (AAB) Awards Committee. Nomination packets are judged specifically on the demonstrated impact of the nominee's professional/vocational work and/or service to the CMU community via:
- Answers to questions on the nomination form
- Letter(s) of support
- Other supplemental information
Selected award honorees are informed of their nominations and selections by the Alumni Association, and their acceptance of the awards is then confirmed. After all award honorees are confirmed, nominators are informed of their candidates' status.
Nominations in all categories are accepted year-round.
- Nomination deadline (for consideration for the next Alumni Awards): September 1
- Student Engagement Award deadline: December 7
Be sure to read through each category to ensure you're choosing the best category for your nominee. Please be as clear and concise as possible when answering each question in the form. Follow the length guidelines for each response.
Below are a few more suggestions and things to know as you prepare and submit a nomination form:
Letters of Support
One (1) letter of support is required for all award nomination packets; and a minimum of three (3) letters from alumni are required for the Faculty & Staff Impact Award. Up to five (5) total letters of support may be included.
Letters of support cannot come from the nominator. They must come from other individuals who can speak to the nominee's contributions and impact. These letters are instrumental in the selection process for providing a complete account of the nominee's accomplishments, contributions and impact.
- Achievement categories: Identify experts in the honoree's field or vocation who can speak to the nominee's contributions and impact to write letters of support.
- Service categories: Identify alumni, staff and faculty who have worked with the CMU volunteer and can speak to the nominee's contributions and impact on the alumni and/or CMU community(ies) which they have served. If the nominee has served the university in multiple volunteer roles, please include letters from varying individuals/perspectives that describe all aspects of their service.
- Student category: Identify campus and alumni community members who have worked with the student during their tenure at CMU and can speak to how they have enriched the CMU experience and fostered alumni engagement and pride in alma mater.
- Eligibility is limited by award type to alumni, students, faculty or staff of Carnegie Mellon University.
- Nominations remain active for two award selection cycles. If your candidate is not selected, you have the opportunity to add supplemental and/or updated information to the individual’s nomination packet before the next deadline.
- Selected honorees must be present at the Alumni Awards ceremony in order to receive an award.
- Please note that awards are not presented posthumously.
- Current members of the CMU Alumni Association Board are ineligible to be nominated for and/or to receive an Alumni Association Alumni Award while they are active members.