CMU Alumni Awards Nominations — Nominate a Deserving Tartan Today!
Each year since 1950, Carnegie Mellon University and the Alumni Association have celebrated the outstanding achievements of our CMU community. But we couldn’t do it without you!
Together, we can recognize the alumni, students, faculty and staff who have forged CMU’s legacy of innovation and excellence and made an impact on CMU and the world.
Learn more about the Alumni Awards categories.
Help us honor outstanding Tartans with these four, easy-to-complete steps:
- Access the online nomination form.
- Gather a professional summary, such as a resume, a bio or even a LinkedIn profile, for your nominee.
- Collect at least one letter of support. Please note this letter cannot be drafted by the nominator, some categories have specific author requirements and up to five letters of support can be included for each nominee.
- Submit the online nomination form and attach the professional summary and letter(s) of support.
Where can I find information on the various awards and categories?
We encourage nominators to review the Alumni Awards categories to ensure you’re selecting the best fit for your nominee.
- Founders Medal for Outstanding Service and Exceptional Achievements
- Alumni Achievement Award
- Alumni Service Award
- Outstanding Recent Alumni Award
- Faculty & Staff Impact Award
- Student Engagement Award
How many letters of support should I include?
One letter of support is required for all nominees, and up to five letters of support can be included. A minimum of three letters from alumni are required for the Faculty & Staff Impact Award. These letters are instrumental in the selection process for providing a complete account of the nominee's accomplishments, contributions and impact.
Here are a few suggestions for letters of support based on each category:
- Achievement categories: Identify experts in the honoree's field or vocation who can speak to the nominee's contributions and impact to write letters of support.
- Service categories: Identify alumni, staff and faculty who have worked with the CMU volunteer and can speak to the nominee's contributions and impact on the alumni and/or CMU community(ies) which they have served. If the nominee has served the university in multiple volunteer roles, please include letters from varying individuals/perspectives that describe all aspects of their service.
- Student category: Identify campus and alumni community members who have worked with the student during their tenure at CMU and can speak to how they have enriched the CMU experience and fostered alumni engagement and pride in alma mater.
What if I missed the deadline for this year?
Nominations are accepted year-round and will be considered based on annual application deadlines.
What if my nominee is not selected this year?
Nominations remain active for two award selection cycles. If your candidate is not selected, you will have the opportunity to add supplemental and/or updated information to the individual’s nomination packet prior to the next deadline.
Can I nominate someone who has passed away?
Awards are not presented posthumously.
Do selected honorees need to attend the ceremony?
Selected honorees must be present at the CMU Alumni Awards ceremony in order to receive an award.
Who is eligible for an award?
Eligibility is limited by award type to alumni, students, faculty or staff of Carnegie Mellon University. Current members of the CMU Alumni Association Board are ineligible to be nominated for and/or to receive an Alumni Association Alumni Award while they are active members.
Who selects the award honorees?
Alumni Award honorees are selected annually by members of the CMU Alumni Association Board (AAB) Awards Committee. Nominees are judged specifically on the impact of the nominee’s professional/vocational work and/or service to the CMU community.