Jump to: Adamson Awards | MLK Awards | Gladys Schmitt Awards | Others
The annual highlight of the Creative Writing Program is the Adamson Student Writing Awards. These awards are presented for student excellence in fiction, poetry, screenwriting, and non-fiction. Winners are selected by off-campus writers and are presented in a formal event featuring a distinguished visiting writer. The Adamson Awards are presented in honor of Pauline B. Adamson at the bequest of her husband, the late Clarence H. Adamson, as a testimonial to their marriage and her interest in the English Language and American Literature. Learn more.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Writing Awards
Jim Daniels, Director of the Creative Writing Program, established the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Writing Awards in 1999. The program builds on Daniels' commitment to writing about race (he edited Letters to America: Contemporary American Poetry on Race. In 2001, the event expanded to include a separate category for Carnegie Mellon students, working on the premise that the voices of college students, and their varying experiences, could and should interact with the young voices from the Pittsburgh community The contest guidelines specifically request personal narratives on race. We believe that if we learn each other's stories, the barriers begin to break down. We begin to see each other as individual human beings, struggling the way we all must, to live good lives and treat each other decently. We are all parts of different communities, and we reach out and cross over in strange, often surprising ways. The King Writing Awards provides a common ground for all these communities. As part of the University's day-long schedule of panel discussions and performing arts presentations, the winners of this contest read in the University Center's main lecture hall to an audience of hundreds. Learn more
Gladys Schmitt Scholarship Awards
The Gladys Schmitt Scholarship is given each year at the Distinguished Alumni Speaker Series to a student who contributes the most to the program, both in and out of the classroom. Learn more.
Other Awards presented to students include:
- The Academy of American Poets Prize
- The Carnegie Mellon University Press Prizes in Poetry and Fiction
- The Hilary Masters Award in the Personal Essay
- The Topol Award in Creative Writing/Fiction
- The Donna Grear Memorial Award
- The Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center Artist in Residence for Creative Writing
- The Margaret Smith Cushing Award
- The Charles Dawe Publishing Award
- Louisa Saul Rosenthal Margaret Morrison Carnegie College Scholarship (for a female undergraduate student in creative writing who is eligible for financial aid)