In addition to work within the department itself, the English department has close ties to many organizations on campus. Below is a partial list of organizations that our faculty and students have ties to:
- The CMU Press was founded in 1972 as Three Rivers Press, a publisher of poetry. Today, the CMU Press' particular strength continues to lie in literary publishing.
- The Intercultural Inquiry website offers information on what intercultural inquiry is, its philosophy, and strategies for engaging in intercultural inquiry.
- The Community Literacy Center is a community/university collaborative of Pittsburgh's 80-year-old Community House and the Center for the Study of Writing at Carnegie Mellon University.
- The Community Think Tank is a culturally diverse body of problem solvers committed to bringing wider perspectives and collaborative action to urban issues.
- The Pittsburgh Consortium for Eighteenth Century Studies is a group of scholars in the Pittsburgh community made up of students and professors from Carnegie Mellon, Duquesne University, and the University of Pittsburgh.
- The Pittsburgh Consortium for Medieval and Renaissance Studies (PCMRS) is a collection of scholars and students from the western Pennsylvania region interested in the arts, literature, history, philosophy and culture of the Middle Ages, Renaissance and Early Modern Period (to the end of the seventeenth century).
- The Humanities Center at CMU, directed by English Department faculty member David Shumway, supports and encourages study, research, and interest in the humanities, the disciplines that study human culture and its products.
- The Center for the Arts in Society sponsors a wide range of talks, panels, and events, and exhibits and performances
- The Carnegie Mellon Center for Early Modern Print, Networks, and Performance (CPNP) is a distinctive research hub for early modern cultural studies, 1500-1800, built around the unique strengths of faculty, M.A. and Ph.D. students in the Carnegie Mellon Department of English Literary and Cultural Studies program.