Voicemail - Frequently Asked Questions
How do I reset my PIN?
Why can't I access my voicemail messages from my phone?
If you cannot access your voicemail messages, do the following.
- Verify that you are entering the correct PIN when dialing into your voicemail.
- Verify that you are not locked out of your voicemail account because you entered your PIN incorrectly 3 times in total.
- To reset your PIN, visit Voicemail Manager, then click Reset your PIN.
Why can't I access the Voicemail Manager web page?
Can I receive voicemails or voicemail notifications in my email?
Yes, but the level of voicemail integration differs between Microsoft Exchange and Google Mail.Microsoft Exchange
The Carnegie Mellon phone system is fully integrated with Microsoft Exchange. The phone system stores your voicemail messages and synchronizes them to your Exchange mailbox, then replicates your actions between the two.
- You receive an email when you have a voicemail message. Open the email attachment to listen to your voicemail message.
- Your original voicemail messages remain in the phone system. You can access your messages from your telephone or from Voicemail Manager.
- If you listen to, save, or delete a voicemail message from your email account, the system marks it as listened to, saved, or deleted in your voicemail account, and vice-versa.
The Carnegie Mellon phone system cannot be fully integrated with G Suite's Google Mail. However, there are two ways you can receive voicemails in your Google Mail account. Contact Computing Services to set up either option.
- Receive a copy of your voicemails in your Google Mail account.
The original messages remain in the phone system. You can access them from your email, your telephone or Voicemail Manager.
Your voicemail messages are not synchronized with your email account. For example, if you delete a voicemail message from your email, it is not deleted from the voicemail system.
- Forward your voicemails to your Google Mail address.
The original messages move from the phone system to your Google Mail account.
You can access your voicemail messages only from your email, not from your telephone or Voicemail Manager. You will no longer see a red light on your phone, which indicates that you have a voicemail message.
How do I check my voicemail when I am off campus?
- Dial 412-268-8600, then press * (asterisk).
- When prompted, enter your ID (5-digit extension), then press # (pound).
- When prompted, enter your PIN, then press # (pound).
Alternatively, call your campus phone number, press * (asterisk) when the phone answers, then follow steps 2 and 3 above.
My mailbox quota tells me I'm over my limit
Verify that you have emptied your deleted voice mailbox messages, which count against your total mail quota.