UC Phone - Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the power cord? What happens when a power outage occurs?
Unlike traditional copper-wire phones, most VoIP phones use Power over Ethernet (PoE). The power to any PoE devices comes from the network switch connected to the phone cable. If you unplug the phone cable, the VoIP phone does not work.
If an electrical power outage occurs, there is no VoIP phone service. When power is restored and the network stabilizes, VoIP phone service resumes automatically. To request a voice and data outlet, submit an Outlet Estimate Form.
Can I move my phone to a new office?
What should I do when my phone display shows as unregistered or not registering, or if there is a spinning wheel at the top-right corner of the phone screen?
- Verify that the ethernet cable is plugged in to an outlet equipped with PoE and Voice Data.
- Try another ethernet outlet and cable.
- Unplug, then plug in again, the ethernet cable.
- Disconnect any other equipment (e.g., answering machine)
My phone doesn't ring, and I'm not receiving any messages or calls.
Verify that your phone and/or Cisco jabber status is not set to DO NOT DISTURB.
My phone powers on and off.
- Verify that the ethernet cable is plugged in completely.
- Try another ethernet cable.
- Try another ethernet outlet.