These are some of the common questions that instructors transitioning from Blackboard 8 to Blackboard 9.1 have asked.
Where is my old course?
Many instructors have logged into Blackboard 9.1 expecting to see their full list of courses from previous semesters. As part of the upgrade process, prior Blackboard 8 courses were not automatically moved to the Blackboard 9.1 server.
To retrieve old course content, available options are:
- Request that content from an old Blackboard 8 course be copied over to a new Blackboard 9.1 course as preparation to deliver it to students in the upcoming semester.
Ask that an old Blackboard 8 course be moved to the Blackboard 9.1
server as a reference.
Note: Future students will not become enrolled in this type of course, it is strictly for instructor reference.
Why does some of the course content appear different?
Instructors may need to make adjustments to previous course content that was copied into a new course, e.g. changing the course menu, formatting cleanup.
Where are the Dropbox files?
The Digital Dropbox does not exist in Blackboard 9.1, though Blackboard, Inc. created a utility to access old files. Some information, including timestamp and file names, is not accessible. Instructors may contact Blackboard Support for assistance with retrieving Dropbox files.
If you used the Dropbox in Blackboard 8 and still need this functionality, there are two options:
- Use the Assignments feature, which is Blackboard's alternative to the Dropbox.
- Schedule a one-on-one with us to discuss your needs and other possible options.
Where did Blackboard put that thing I need?
Blackboard Support is here to help instructors become oriented to Blackboard's new user interface. Instructors can receive or participate in
- Scheduled Blackboard 9.1 demonstrations
- Small-group workshops
- One-on-one consultations
- Support for the online Blackboard documentation found here
The Eberly Center is happy to help in a way best suited to the instructor, but it's better not wait to the last minute for support.