Research Opportunities-Center for International Relations and Politics - Carnegie Mellon University

Research Opportunities

Students interested in pursuing advanced degrees or careers in international relations may wish to explore research opportunities on or off campus. Students interested in undergraduate research should consult the resources available through the Carnegie Mellon Undergraduate Research Office (URO). The list below highlights opportunities available through the URO and other campus organizations. 

Research Training for Undergraduates Through this academic course, qualified first- and second-year students have the opportunity to work directly with an H&SS faculty member on an ongoing research project.  For more information contact Academic Program Manager, Emily Half (
Small Undergraduate Research Grants (SURG), Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF), and International Small Undergraduate Research Grants (ISURG) Offered by Carnegie Mellon University's Undergraduate Research Office, these grants and fellowships provide funding for undergraduate students to pursue research in any discipline.
H&SS Research and Travel Grants A variety of grants are available through the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Research Lab in International Relations and Politics Paid and unpaid positions are available for students with strong interest or training in international relations.
For more information, contact the Research Lab in International and Politics at
CIRP Journal Regularly publishes original student research on topics related to international relations and domestic politics. Essays are posted to CIRP's website.  For more information contact CIRP Journal at
Meeting of the Minds An annual undergraduate research symposium organized by the Undergraduate Research Office each spring. All students engaged in undergraduate research are encouraged to apply.
H&SS Honors Program Through the H&SS Honors Program students complete an honors thesis and graduate with H&SS "College Honors."  Non-H&SS students should consult with their own colleges to determine if an Honors Program exists. For more information contact Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies Joseph Devine (