Departments-The HUB - ID Card Services - Carnegie Mellon University

Plaid Cash for University Departments

Some departments run special programs or conferences and they want to make a Plaid Cash deposit into the accounts for the participants in lieu of providing a per diem for things such as meals or supplies. To make a request to deposit Plaid Cash onto a student or conference attendees card, contact ID Card Services in The HUB at 412-268-5224 or If you are working with Conference & Events Services to help host your conference, please contact them to request Plaid Cash as an option for your conference.

Departments are welcome and encouraged to utilize Plaid Cash as a method of payment, as long as the participants in the program are not employed by the university (ie. full-time faculty, graduate student on university payroll, federal work study student, etc.). 

When Plaid Cash is purchased by a department for existing faculty or staff, the deposit amount is considered taxable income and thus the university would have to calculate the income taxes on the amount of the Plaid Cash provided and withhold the applicable amount from the faculty or staff paycheck.

Purchasing Printing & Copying Funds

Some departments have employees that make use of the public printing and copying resources around campus that require payment via Plaid Cash. The HUB allows departments to purchase either a Print and Copy Card for this purpose, which allows the department to use the Print and Copy Card for multiple employees or students. Calculation of taxation is not applicable in this situation, as the funds deposited may only be used for printing and copying purposes. To a request Print and Copy Card, the department must complete the Department Print & Copy Funds Request form and send it to The HUB via:

Fax: 412-268-8084
Campus Mail or In Person: Warner Hall A-12 (Lower Level)

Please allow at least 1-2 business days if a new Plaid Cash Card is being requested.