Distinguished Teaching Professor of Urban Studies, School of Architecture, Carnegie Mellon
David Lewis is currently a Distinguished Professor of Urban Studies in the School of Architecture, and head of the Fifth Year Studio. He is the founder of Urban Design Associates (UDA).
An architect and urban designer, Professor Lewis came to Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1963 as the Andrew Mellon Professor of Architecture and Urban Design, where he started one of the first educational programs in urban design in which students worked hands-on with elected officials, agency representatives and citizens in communities in the Pittsburgh metropolitan region. From 1968 to 1974 he taught at Yale where he was the William Henry Bishop Professor of Urban Design and formed the urban design workshop. In 1988-89 he was the Hyde Professor at the University of Nebraska. In 1990 he returned to Carnegie Mellon and started the Urban Laboratory, which continues to this day. In the late sixties and early seventies he was a core member of the American Institute of Architects' (AIA) Regional/Urban Design Assistance Teams (R/UDAT's), and was Chairman of the AIA's National Urban Design Committee in 1976-77. In 1976 he was a Founder-Member of the International Institute of Urban Design.
Professor Lewis is a Fellow of the AIA. He has received several local, state and national awards, including, in 1988, the AIA's Kemper Award for service to the profession. That same year he was also honored with the Pennsylvania Gold Medal for Architecture and he chaired the International Remaking Cities Conference at which HRH The Prince of Wales was the Honorary Chair. In addition to authoring a number of books on art, architecture and urban design, Professor Lewis is also a painter and has held a number of one-person exhibitions. Born in 1922, he served in the navy in World War II.