Internship and Career Opportunities
The MS IRP and IRP/AMP include a variety of curricular and extracurricular initiatives to accelerate professional development.
- Enrolled students are expected to complete a graduate-level internship before the final program year. For accelerated (IRP/AMP) students, this occurs between their fourth and fifth year; for traditional master’s (MS IRP) students, between their first and second year. IPS staff work with students on an individual basis to identify relevant internships, develop application materials, and navigate the application and confirmation processes. Examples of past internship placements are listed below;
- In addition to CMU’s Handshake job platform and the Career and Professional Development Center listings, MS IRP students receive exclusive round-ups of relevant internship and post-graduation opportunities tailored to cohort interests;
- Throughout the master’s program, cohort members are expected to attend a variety of regular networking events, including faculty and speaker roundtables, CIRP Policy Forum lectures and roundtables, job fairs, alumni receptions, and professional development workshops;
- All enrolled students are encouraged to develop meaningful alumni relationships. IPS staff work directly with students to connect with relevant IPS alumni to set up informational interviews, learn best practices, and grow professional and personal networks;
- Second-year MS IRP students participate in a weekend-long professional development trip to Washington, DC, aimed at accelerating career exploration, networking and job placement. Past trip activities have included roundtables at national security agencies, embassies and prominent think tanks, participation in alumni dinners, and panel discussions with professional in consulting, intelligence and advocacy.
Students are encouraged to apply for internships that fall within a variety of career interests. The internship is meant to provide insight and networking opportunities to pursue adjacent paths, or to help students narrow down the fields that they would like to pursue post-graduation. Ideally, students can utilize their internship experience to inform their graduate thesis that will be completed in the spring of the final year in the MS IRP.
MS IRP Career Placements
|Consulting||Accenture||Security Analyst||Atlanta, GA|
|Intelligence||Dataminr||Cyber Risk Domain Expert||Seattle, WA|
|Intelligence||Defense Intelligence Agency||Intelligence Officer||Washington, DC|
|Intelligence||Department of Defense||Analyst||Washington, DC|
|PhD/Law School||Georgetown University Law School||Law Student||Washington, DC|
|Intelligence||Maxar, Applied Mission Innovation||Intelligence Analyst||Washington, DC|
|Research||Middle East Institute||Program Associate||Washington, DC|
|Consulting||S-RM Consulting||International Security Consultant||Washington, DC|
|Education||Saga Education||Tutoring Fellow||Chicago, IL|
|Government||US Senate, Senator Bob Casey (D-PA)||Legislative Correspondent||Washington, DC|
|Law||Ross & Hill, PLLC||Paralegal||New York, NY|
MS IRP Internship Placements
|Advocacy||Ameriinfo Vets||Germantown, MD|
|Government||Attorney General of Baltimore Campaign||Baltimore, MD|
|Law||Bonina and Bonina, P.C.||New York, NY|
|Government||Bronx District Office of Congressman Adriano Espaillat (NY-13)||New York, NY|
|Research||CERT, Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University- Cyber Risk and Resilience Intern||Pittsburgh, PA|
|Law||Constantinople and Vallone LLC||New York, NY|
|Research||Council on Foreign Relations||New York, NY|
|Government||Department of Transportation||Washington, DC|
|Research||Hudson Institute, Center for Political-Military Analysis||Washington, DC|
|Research||Institute for the Study of War||Washington, DC|
|Government||Office of Congressman Jim Clyburn (D-SC 6th District)- Leadership Office (Majority Whip)||Washington, DC|
|Government||Office of the Mayor of Pittsburgh||Pittsburgh, PA|
|Government||Office of US Senator Paul Strauss (D-DC/Shadow)||Washington, DC|
|Research||Pacific Council on International Policy||Los Angeles, CA|
|Research||Potomac Institute for Policy Studies: International Center for Terrorism Studies (ICTS)||Arlington, VA|
|Research||RAND Corporation||Pittsburgh, PA|
|Government||Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA)||Washington, DC|
|Research||The Organization for World Peace||Pittsburgh, PA|
|Research||University of Pittsburgh Matthew B. Ridgway Center for International Security Studies||Pittsburgh, PA|
"The greatest impact that the master's program had on me was the opportunity to work in-depth with leading researchers in a small class setting. The opportunity to work one-on-one with the faculty in IPS has given me a greater attention to detail that I employ every day in a fast-paced government environment."
Robert Stephens (MS IRP, 2018)
US Department of Defense, Analyst
"My international relations degree at CMU was unmatched in the way that it pushed us to achieve and perform at extremely high levels, and the level of rigor that it required to be successful. It gave us a chance to explore our interests and enrich our capabilities, and both the hard and soft skills that I honed through the program have made a huge impact in my ability to be successful and high achieving in my career from the get go, and has dramatically cut back on the amount of time I needed to spend as a 'rookie'. We had the opportunity to work with some extremely accomplished and attentive faculty and develop long lasting relationships that I look forward to maintaining throughout my life."
Raaga Kalva (MS IRP, 2019)
Defense Intelligence Agency, Intelligence Officer
"The graduate program was the perfect opportunity to explore a subject matter focus prior to law school. The professors were especially impactful in shaping and inspiring my career goals."
Alex Pasch (MS IRP, 2018)
Georgetown University Law School, Student
"The program was a foundational aspect of my education at CMU and taught me the necessary skills and work ethic to succeed after graduation. I am very excited to see the program expanding and continually becoming better. Being in the MS IRP program allowed me to gain great subject matter information as well as important skills developed by the coursework as well as the thesis process that I continue to use. The new curriculum and expansion have made this already impactful program even more comprehensive and exceptional."
Kellen Carleton (MS IRP, 2019)
Accenture, Security Analyst