Welcome to the CMU Health Professions Program
The Health Professions Program (HPP) is an advising resource for all current CMU students and alumni interested in pursuing a career in a health profession. Such careers include medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, optometry, physician assistant, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and genetic counseling, to name a few. Students interested in careers in biomedical research are also welcome. The program is designed to assist students with:
- Exploration: What are some possible health careers? What are the pre-reqs?
- Preparation: How do I become a competitive applicant to a health professions school?
- Application: What does the application process entail? What is the CMU Committee Interview Process?
- Networking: Connecting students to faculty, alumni, researchers, and health care professionals.
Current Students & Alumni:
- Enroll in the HPP by completing this form.
- Have general questions or want to schedule an appointment to meet with the HPP Director, please contact the HPP office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please visit the FAQ section to find answers to many common pre-health questions
Key Dates: Application Cycle Year 2024
Opens May 3, 2023
May 30, 2023 AMCAS application submission starts (MCAT & rec letters NOT required)
June 30, 2023 AMCAS transmission of verified apps to med schools starts
- May 1, 2023: Opens
- May 15, 2023: App submission begins
- Feb 17, 2024: Rank submission deadline
- March 3, 2024: Match results announced and rolling admissions begins
- May 4, 2023: AACOMAS opens
- June 15, 2023: DO schools begin receiving verified apps
May 9, 2023: application and FAP paperless opens
- May 30, 2023: AADSAS application submission begins
- AY2023 now OPEN
- Program deadlines
- The myth of health inequities
- Why are so many Black patients dying of skin cancer?
- Why does college cost so much?
- What is gender-affirming care?
- Former Doctor Turns Pandemic Historian and Sleuth
- The future of CRISPR is now
- Read about the creation of the CMU Medical School Alumni Mentor Program (MSAMP)
- How art and the humanities make for a better physician
- A CMU alumna at Pitt Med is helping to rewrite the oath of Hippocrates
- Traveling this holiday season? Here is some advice from doctors.
- A CMU alumna interviewed about how covid-19 added to her motivation to enter medicine
- A CMU alumna talks about the power of mentorship in medicine
- Moral injury in frontline health care workers facing COVID-19 pandemic
- Med students graduating early to help fight COVID-19
- Medical education during a pandemic
- CMU alumnus weighs in on COVID-19 treatment
- Safehouse - Philadelphia non-profit opening nation's first supervised injection site
- Major changes to USMLE Licensing exam: Step 1 moves to P/F
- Ending gender harassment in medicine
- The importance of equity, diversity and inclusion in medicine
- Will free medical school lead to more primary care physicians?
- Check out what a CMU alumna has to say about med school at Baylor College of Medicine
- Why doctors know almost nothing about the health effects of marijuana
- The importance of psychological safety in medicine and other areas such as academics
- DO vs. MD: How much does the medical school degree type matter?
- Will artificial intelligence replace doctors?
- Weill Cornell Medicine announces debt-free medical education
- Discovering the hidden curriculum in med school
- How can health professions and grad schools do better for disadvantaged students
- Social Media in Medicine - evolving guidelines
- Thinking about med school after a previous career?
- Star Student-Athlete is on Track for Medical Career
- Trading Places: When doctors become patients
- Rooting out implicit bias in medical school admissions
- Putting Kindness in the curriculum
- 7 ways to reduce medical school debt
- Students learn to treat pain, with and without opioids
- Breaking News Aug, 2018: Free Medical tuition at NYU Langone Medical School
- Learn more about the CMU Global Medical Brigades (.pptx file) and Global Public Health Brigades (video & .pptx file) service trips to Nicaragua, Spring Break, 2018.
- Pursuing medicine through engineering at CMU - see how the HPP helps engineering students pursue a career in health care.
- Read about how CMU helps to create a more holistic health care experience (article).