Carnegie Mellon University

Graduate Support

Scholarships | Federal Loans | Research Assistantships | Community Service Grants | Editorial Position | Part-Time Enrollment

Departmental Tuition Remission Scholarships

All students accepted full-time into the MAPW program receive a tuition remission scholarship that generally covers 40-45% or slightly more of the graduate tuition. Students who apply by February 1 for the following fall are also eligible to be considered for additional merit-based aid from the department. The amount of merit-based aid available varies from year to year but can generally increase the total package of financial aid to around 50-60% of tuition. And we guarantee to keep your tuition constant through your three semesters of study even if the university should increase the graduate tuition rate applicable for your third term. [return to top]

Federal Government Loans for Graduate Study

All students accepted into the program full-time are eligible to apply for Federal Stafford Loans to cover living costs and educational expenses, including tuition. There are two types of Federal Stafford Loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. Subsidized loans are based on financial need and do not begin to accrue interest until after graduation. Unsubsidized loans are available and awarded regardless of student or family income. For unsubsidized loans, Interest begins accruing when the loan is awarded and may be paid while the student is in school or deferred until after graduation.

Federal Stafford Loans are made by a lender such as a bank, credit union, or savings and loan association. The Financial Aid Office recommends borrowing through the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) to avoid delays in loan processing and disbursements.

The maximum amounts available under each type of loan vary from year to year. You can learn about loans and other federal and state financial aid options from Carnegie Mellon's Office of Financial Aid. [return to top]

Research Assistantships

The English Department offers a limited number of Research Assistant (RA) positions each semester. These positions generally involve 5-8 hours (or 6-10 hours?) of work per week at $11 per hour. RA positions usually involve working with individual faculty members or with department staff on ongoing research, administrative, tutoring, or media-related projects. Available positions are generally advertised to incoming students at the beginning of each fall term. All full-time students are eligible to apply for all positions. [return to top]

Community Service Grants

Students who are work-study eligible (generally all students who have federal loans) and pursue unpaid internships in qualifying non-profit organizations during the summer may also be eligible to apply for Community Service Grants that can help to provide a salary for these unpaid positions. The way the program works is that the grants match employer support on a $3/$1 basis. Thus, if an internship sponsor is able to provide $3 per hour, the matching grant will provide an additional $9. Students considering such positions should consult with the MAPW Program Director for guidance in securing these funds. Additional information on the program is available through the Career Center site. [return to top]

Part-Time Enrollment

While full-time enrollment in the MAPW is the norm, the program does include a part-time option for applicants who must work full or part-time during their studies. Applicants considering this option should contact the MAPW program director to determine whether or not part-time study is feasible in their individual cases. One consideration is that a number of the core and elective courses are offered only during the day, so part-time students must be able to arrange their work schedules to accommodate daytime classes. [return to top]