Carnegie Mellon University

Costs and Support

Current graduate tuition for Dietrich College students can be viewed on the Student Financial Services website.

Please also review the current University Fees for Full-Time Students.

All students accepted full-time into the MAPW program receive a tuition remission scholarship that generally covers 40-45% or slightly more of the graduate tuition. We guarantee to keep your tuition constant through your three semesters of study even if the university should increase the graduate tuition rate applicable for your third term.

Since 2007, Carnegie Mellon University’s Department of English has recognized a third-semester Master’s in Professional Writing (MAPW) student with the Erwin R. Steinberg MAPW Scholarship.

The $1,500 scholarship is awarded annually to a third-semester MAPW student who excels in Style, a course Steinberg taught for many years in the MAPW program. The award recognizes a student who has excelled in the program’s style course and exemplifies integrity, intellectual curiosity and citizenship—values that characterized Steinberg’s legacy in scholarship, teaching and administration.

Steinberg founded the department’s Professional and Technical Writing Programs and for many years taught the required Style course for MAPW students.

Past Winners:

2017: Nathan Healy

2016: Katherine Ey

2015: Laura Pacilio

2014: Alex Ciliberto

2013: Joe Monte

2012: Brad Walker

2011: Jennifer Dorsey

2010: Veronica Olson

2009: Erin Akemi Jones

2008: Greg Gaudio

2007: Frank Gambino

While full-time enrollment in the MAPW is the norm, the program does include a part-time option that is particularly appropriate for CMU staff members and for other practicing professionals in the region. Applicants considering this option should contact the MAPW program director to discuss their particular situation and determine whether or not part-time study is feasible. One important consideration is that most of the core courses and at least half of the elective courses are offered only during the day, so part-time students must be able to arrange their work schedules to accommodate daytime classes on campus.

Part-time students are charged tuition at a unit rate determined by dividing the semester tuition by 36 to get the per unit cost and then multiplying the per unit costs by the number of units for which a student is enrolled. Individual courses are typically 9-12 units (3-4 credits). Full-time study is defined as taking at least 36 units (12 credits, usually 4 courses @ 9 units (3 credits) each.

CMU staff members considering the part-time option should check with their departments concerning financial arrangements.
If you choose to join our program, you will have the opportunity to apply for additional financial support through paid research assistantships. Our students work with faculty members on a wide array of assignments designed to supplement their coursework and to give them valuable professional experience. These positions generally involve 5-10 hours of work per week at $13 per hour. Available positions are generally advertised to incoming students at the beginning of each fall term. All graduate students are eligible to apply for all positions.
The Carnegie Mellon Housing Services  provides information to help new students find apartments within walking distance of campus or near the city bus lines or the CMU shuttle bus routes.

All students accepted into the program full-time are eligible to apply for Federal Stafford Loans to cover living costs and educational expenses, including tuition. There are two types of Federal Stafford Loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. Subsidized loans are based on financial need and do not begin to accrue interest until after graduation. Unsubsidized loans are available and awarded regardless of student or family income. For unsubsidized loans, Interest begins accruing when the loan is awarded and may be paid while the student is in school or deferred until after graduation.

Federal Stafford Loans are made by a lender such as a bank, credit union, or savings and loan association. The Financial Aid Office recommends borrowing through the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) to avoid delays in loan processing and disbursements.

The maximum amounts available under each type of loan vary from year to year. You can learn about loans and other federal and state financial aid options from Carnegie Mellon's Office of Financial Aid.

Students who are work-study eligible (generally all students who have federal loans) and pursue unpaid internships in qualifying non-profit organizations during the summer may also be eligible to apply for Community Service Grants that can help to provide a salary for these unpaid positions. The way the program works is that the grants match employer support on a $3/$1 basis. Thus, if an internship sponsor is able to provide $3 per hour, the matching grant will provide an additional $9. Students considering such positions should consult with the MAPW Program Director for guidance in securing these funds. Additional information on the program is available through the Career Center site.

For more information on payment options, please visit the Student Financial Services website.