Carnegie Mellon University

Graduate Support

Departmental Scholarships

All students accepted full-time into the MAPW program receive a tuition remission scholarship that covers about 50% of the graduate tuition.  And we guarantee to keep your tuition constant through your three semesters of study even if the university should increase the graduate tuition rate applicable for your third term.

Federal Government Loans for Graduate Students

All students accepted into the program full-time are eligible to apply for Federal Stafford Loans to cover living costs and educational expenses, including tuition. There are two types of Federal Stafford Loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. Subsidized loans are based on financial need and do not begin to accrue interest until after graduation. Unsubsidized loans are available and awarded regardless of student or family income. For unsubsidized loans, Interest begins accruing when the loan is awarded and may be paid while the student is in school or deferred until after graduation.

Federal Stafford Loans are made by a lender such as a bank, credit union, or savings and loan association. The Financial Aid Office recommends borrowing through the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) to avoid delays in loan processing and disbursements.

The maximum amounts available under each type of loan vary from year to year. You can learn about loans and other federal and state financial aid options from Carnegie Mellon's Office of Financial Aid.

Payment Options

Carnegie Mellon provides a tuition payment service, MPS, which allows you to pay academic year expenses in 10 interest-free monthly installments. The only cost is a small initial application fee. Additional information on payment options through TMS is available through the indicated link.
[Return to top]

Cost of Study

While tuition and related fees for 2014-2015 have not as yet been set by the university, we expect they will resemble 2013-2014 rates. Current fees and expenses for full-time graduate study are as follows:

Academic Year Per Semester
Tuition $38,000 $19,000
Activity Fee $198 $99
Technology Fee $370 $185
Transportation Fee $120 $60

Books and
Supplies (estimate)

$600 $300
Part-time students are charged at a unit rate determined by dividing the semester tuition by 36 to get the per unit cost.

[Return to top]

Research Assistantships

The English Department offers a limited number of Research Assistant (RA) positions each semester. These positions generally involve 5-8 hours of work per week at $13 per hour and generally involve working with individual faculty members on ongoing research or administrative projects.
[Return to top]

Part-time Enrollment

While full-time enrollment in the MAPW is the norm, the program does include a part-time option for applicants who must work full or part-time during their studies. Applicants considering this option should contact the MAPW program director to determine whether or not part-time study is feasible in their individual cases. One consideration is that a number of the core and elective courses are offered only during the day, so part-time students must be able to arrange their work schedules to accommodate daytime classes.
[Return to top]


The Carnegie Mellon Housing Services provides information to help new students find apartments within walking distance of campus or near the city bus lines or the CMU shuttle bus routes.
[Return to top]