Book Display: The Intersection of STEM, Identity, and Social
This book display aims to capture the breadth and depth of social identities and their intersections with the STEM fields.
A University-Wide Office Dedicated to DEI
Carnegie Mellon University is known throughout the world as an institution where great things happen. Our educators and researchers have a transformative impact on society through continual innovation in education, research, creativity and entrepreneurship. But we can do so much more!
The echoes of oppression and privilege still exist throughout higher education, but by focusing on diversity, equity and inclusion we can create a space where all people feel a sense of belonging. CMU has committed to intentionally fostering a community that holds space, where all voices are heard and respected.
By working in close concert with colleagues throughout the university, our office strives to enact real and lasting changes in how CMU addresses racism, classism, sexism and the language of othering as it exists across our campus community. We seek to do this through:
- Developing a unifying strategic vision for DEI
- Guiding the university in crafting and implementing an overarching DEI strategic plan
- Establishing and maintaining a culture of assessment and evaluation in relation to DEI
- Expanding pathways for assessing, understanding and improving the campus climate
- Developing strategies for addressing recruitment and retention challenges impacting campus diversity
- Serving as ambassadors for the university and its commitment to DEI externally in Pittsburgh and beyond
Progress toward a more diverse, inclusive and equitable future for Carnegie Mellon University requires commitment and engagement from everyone. I am excited for the work my office will support toward our shared goal to nurture and sustain a community where all feel welcomed and supported to thrive.
Dr. Wanda Heading-Grant
Vice Provost for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer
Distinguished Service Professor, Heinz College of Information Systems and Public Policy
Welcoming Dr. Wanda Heading-Grant to CMU