Use Linux Timeshares
You can access a remote Linux session from any Windows or Macintosh computer. Software that can be found in a Linux computer lab is available through the Linux timeshares.
- Open SSH Tectia - Terminal (available in the Software Catalog).
- Click Quick Connect.
- Enter the following:
Host Name: linux.andrew.cmu.edu
User Name: your Andrew userID
- Click Connect.
Note: If prompted about connection keys, select an option and click OK.
- Enter your Andrew password and Enter.
- Click the Disconnect icon and Yes to end your session.
- Open Terminal.
- Type ssh -X userID@linux.andrew.cmu.edu (userID is your Andrew userID) and press Enter.
- If prompted with the message "The authenticity of host 'linux.andrew.cmu.edu' can't be established. Are you sure you want to continue (yes/no)?" Type yes and press Enter.
- Enter your Andrew password and press Enter.
- Use UNIX commands to navigate and access the software you need.
- Type exit to end your session.