School of Drama
The School of Drama at Carnegie Mellon is a member of the Consortium of Conservatory Theatre Training Programs. Auditions or portfolio reviews are required for students applying to Acting, Design, Directing, Music Theatre or Production Technology and Management.
In order to reserve an audition or portfolio review for Acting, Design, Music Theatre or Production Technology and Management, in the School of Drama:
- Please visit Common App after August 1 and submit the Common Application and Carnegie Mellon Common Application Supplement online. Once you submit these required documents, you will be assigned an Application ID through Common Application. You must use this Application ID to reserve an audition or portfolio review.
- Audition and portfolio review dates and appointment times will be available after October 1 and we honor these appointments on a first-come, first-serve basis, to Carnegie Mellon applicants only.
- The Early Decision application deadline for the School of Drama is November 1. Early Decision is only available for Design, Dramaturgy and Production Technology and Management. Portfolio review appointments should also be made by November 1, and will take place on campus in the month of November.
- Early Decision is not available for Acting or Music Theatre, though there are auditions available for Acting and Music Theatre in November, under the Regular Decision application plan, with an early application deadline of November 1. Students will need to apply to the university and register for an audition by November 1 in order to attend a November audition. All decisions notifications are released under Regular Decision, between March 15-April 15.
- The Regular Decision application deadline for the School of Drama is December 1 though we encourage students to apply earlier in order to secure an audition or portfolio review appointment before December 1.
Transfer applicants follow the same procedures as freshmen applicants. Transfer students in Acting and Music Theatre are classified as freshmen in the program.