Microsoft Office: Windows and Macintosh
Microsoft Office is made available to the students and departments via discounted media purchased at the Computer Store. Microsoft Office media is available at the campus Computer Store and offers the following tools:
- Access (Windows Only) - A database management system (DBMS) that functions in the Windows environment and allows you to create and process data in a database
- Excel - Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet program which allows one to enter numerical values or data into the rows or columns of a spreadsheet, and to use these numerical entries for such things as calculations, graphs, and statistical analysis.
- Outlook - Email client
- Publisher (Windows Only) - Helps you easily create, customize, and publish materials such as newsletters, brochures, flyers, catalogs, and Web sites. Publish easily on your desktop printer.
- OneNote - A note-taking and information gathering tool.
- PowerPoint - Popular presentation program.
- Virtual PC (Macintosh Only) - Software virtualization solution that allows multiple PC-based operating systems to run simultaneously on one workstation.
- Word - Word processing tool
Impact on Campus
Computing Services offers support for Microsoft Office products on a best effort basis only. The exception to this is the Outlook mail client which is supported for use on campus.
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 for WindowsIncludes Access, Excel, InfoPath, Lync, Outlook with Business Contact Manager, Publisher, OneNote, PowerPoint, SharePoint Workspace, Word
- Microsoft Office Professional for Macintosh
Includes Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Word
Additional Licensing Information
- Campuses covered by this license: Campuses located in North America
- License holder: Computing Services
- Quantity licensed: Covers all university-owned/leased Macintosh/Windows computers and one computer of either type owned by a Student, Faculty, or Staff member
- Available for: Windows and Macintosh
- Who can install it: Faculty, Staff, and Students (includes adjunct faculty members and part-time employees)
- Eligible equipment: University owned/leased computers; students can install one copy on personally-owned machines
- Type of license: Annual
- Cost to users: The annual fee is shared by the colleges, Computing Services, SEI, and central administrative offices
- Where to get media: May be purchased from the Computer Store
- License code required: Yes; the license is provided with the purchase of media
- Questions: Direct licensing issues/questions to your DSP consultant, IT support person or Computer Sales.
- Restrictions: Use for academic, non-commercial purposes only. Software must be removed from computers if annual payment is not made.
- Individual use rights upon termination of affiliation: Once your Carnegie Mellon affiliation ends, you are required to remove all copies of the software. Exception: Students may request a perpetual license for Microsoft products. However, the software is not eligible for upgrades or technical support.