University-owned computers that are managed by a departmental administrator or DSP should install Microsoft Office from the Microsoft Volume License Service Center (MVLSC) web page. Email email@example.com if you are an IT administrator who needs access to the MVLSC.
If you are a faculty or staff member with a university-owned machine that is not supported by an IT administrator or DSP, use the download available for personal computers and mobile devices.
Refer to the MVLSC Microsoft Office Product Activation page for activation details.
Personal Computers and Mobile Devices
Students, faculty and staff may install Microsoft Office on up to five devices including mobile devices such as Windows tablets and iPads.
The Microsoft Office download is provided via Office 365 and requires Andrew single sign-on through login.cmu.edu to authorize installation under the university license agreement. Microsoft will periodically require you to revalidate your license using single sign-on.
Can't see the download frame above?
Visit the Office 365 Download page directly.
Microsoft Office includes Excel, Outlook, OneNote, PowerPoint and Word.
Note: OneDrive is not provided under the university license agreement.
- Campuses covered by this license: North America, Qatar, Australia and Rwanda
- License holder: Computing Services
- Quantity licensed:
- Microsoft Volume License Service Center (MVLSC): Unlimited installs for university-owned machines
- Office 365: Personal and unmanaged university-owned machines may install on up to five devices including mobile devices, such as Windows tablets and iPads
- Eligible equipment:
- University-owned Windows and Macintosh computers (through MVLSC)
- Personal computers, mobile devices and unmanaged university-owned computers (through Office 365)
- Who can install: Students, faculty and staff
- Type of license: Annual
- Cost: The annual fee is shared by the colleges, Computing Services, SEI, and central administrative offices
- License code required:
- MVLSC (university-owned and managed computers): Activated through university central servers
- Office 365 (personal and unmanaged university machines, mobile devices): Requires license validation through Andrew single sign-on
- Questions: Direct licensing issues/questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Restrictions: Use for academic, non-commercial purposes only. Software installed through the MVLSC must be removed from computers if departmental annual payment is not made.
- Individual use rights upon termination of affiliation: Once your Carnegie Mellon affiliation ends, you are required to remove all copies of the software.
Computing Services offers best effort support for Microsoft Office products with the exception of the configuration of the Outlook desktop client for use with the Exchange, Google Apps @ CMU and Cyrus email services. The Outlook mobile app is not supported.
For detailed support information and instructions to configure your desktop or native Android or iOS mail client, see the Email and Calendar pages.