Microsoft Office: Windows and Macintosh
Microsoft Office media for individual sales is available at the campus Computer Store and offers the following tools:
- Access (Windows Only) - A database management system (DBMS) that functions in the Windows environment and allows you to create and process data in a database
- Excel - Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet program which allows one to enter numerical values or data into the rows or columns of a spreadsheet, and to use these numerical entries for such things as calculations, graphs, and statistical analysis.
- Outlook - Email client
- Publisher (Windows Only) - Helps you easily create, customize, and publish materials such as newsletters, brochures, flyers, catalogs, and Web sites. Publish easily on your desktop printer.
- OneNote - A note-taking and information gathering tool.
- PowerPoint - Popular presentation program.
- Virtual PC (Macintosh Only) - Software virtualization solution that allows multiple PC-based operating systems to run simultaneously on one workstation.
- Word - Word processing tool
Impact on Campus
Computing Services offers support for Microsoft Office products on a best effort basis only. The exception to this is the Outlook mail client which is supported for use on campus.
Carnegie Mellon participates in the Microsoft Campus Agreement, an annual license agreement that provides specific Microsoft software to university-owned computers and, with restrictions, to personally-owned computers. For more information, see the Microsoft Campus Agreement page.