Creating a New Mailing List
Follow these steps to create a new mailing list:
- From the Mailman home page, select Create a New Mailing List. The "Create an Andrew Mailman Mailing List" screen appears.
- In the "Name of list" field, enter an intuitive name for your mailing list.
NOTE: Since this name will become part of the list's email address, it must be all in lowercase and must not contain spaces. The list name must also contain a hyphen.
- In the "Auto-generate initial list password?" field:
- Select Yes if you want Mailman to automatically create an initial list password; Mailman will email the password to you.
- Select No if you want to create the password yourself OR if you would rather authenticate through WebISO.
- In the "Initial list password" and "Confirm list password" fields, enter your desired password if you selected No at the auto-generate option above. If you selected Yes, leave these fields blank.
- Under the List Characteristics section, in the "Should new members be quarantined...?" field, select whether you wish to hold new member postings for moderator approval. If you choose Yes, Mailman will hold these messages in a storage area so you can review, post, and/or reject them at your discretion. If you choose No, posts sent by new list members will not be held, but instead sent directly to the list.
- In the "Send 'list created' email...?" field, select whether you wish to receive a "list created" email once the list has been successfully created.
- Click Create List. (Or click Clear Form to erase your entries and start over.)
- To send mail to your list, use the format firstname.lastname@example.org, where "list-name" is the name you created in Step 2.
- Now that your list has been created, you will probably want to administer it to your liking. See the Basic Administration section for some information on how to get started.
Last Updated 09/30/2011