Create a CMUname
To create an @cmu.edu alias, follow the steps below.
IMPORTANT: Once you've selected a CMUname, it is impossible to change it. Think very carefully before selecting a name that could be ambiguous or that you won't want for the duration of your association with Carnegie Mellon. Computing Services also reserves the right to remove inappropriate or misrepresentative CMUname selections.
- Visit the emailtools.cmu.edu. If you're not already authenticated, you'll be prompted to enter your Andrew userID and password.
- Click Email Address/Forwarding > Create a CMUName.
- If you already HAVE a CMUname, that name appears in the CMUName field. If you do NOT have a CMUname, you can request one by entering the name you want into the field. Once entered, click Next.
Note: Your request is verified against the appropriate rules. Once it passes that verification, the name is created and notification is emailed to you.
Google Apps - please see these additional steps to send mail from your @cmu.edu email address. Select the "I'm a Gmail or Google Apps user..." option.
- Visit emailtools.cmu.edu. If you're not already authenticated, you'll be prompted to enter your Andrew userID and password.
- Select Edit Directory. An Edit Directory page appears.
- If you HAVE a CMUname, that name appears in CMUname.
If you do NOT have a CMUname, you can request one by typing your desired name in, "Would you like to request a CMUname," and click Request.