Carnegie Mellon University

New Hire Onboarding

Find the right Onboarding Checklist with tasks you must complete when starting employment at Carnegie Mellon University. 

Be sure to complete all required onboarding tasks so you can obtain an Andrew ID and CMU ID card, enroll in benefits (if eligible), and establish direct deposit and tax withholdings elections. 

Form I-9 & E-Verify Compliance

Complete the Form I-9

All employees are required to complete the Form I-9 for Employment Eligibility Verification within three days of their employment start date. 

  1. Provide your personal information (usually done in Workday)
  2. Present your ID in person at CMUWorks Service Center

List of Acceptable Documents for Form I-9 [.pdf]

Instructions for Off-Site Employees [.pdf]

E-Verify Compliance

Depending on the project to which you are assigned, Carnegie Mellon University may be required to electronically verify your employment eligibility using E-Verify

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Human Resources E-Verify

All workers are required to provide Carnegie Mellon University with documents establishing personal identity and employment eligibility within three days of hire. Under federal law, failure to comply with Immigration Reform and Control Act will result in termination of employment. 

Get Acquainted with Workday

Familiarize yourself with Workday, Carnegie Mellon University's unified system for Human Resources, Benefits, Payroll, Time Tracking, and more. 

My Workday Toolkit

Your Social Security Number

Your Social Security Number is required for accurate payroll processing and proper tax filing with federal, state, and local tax authorities. 

Provide your Social Security Number as soon as possible by calling the CMUWorks Service Center at 412-268-4600. Do not send your Social Security Number by email. 

Apply for a Social Security Number

Office of International Education

Social Security Number Application Instructions