Steinbrenner Welcomes New Cohort of Fellows
Every year, the Steinbrenner Institute awards four doctoral fellowships to second year doctoral students at CMU.
Watch fellows' introduction videos
Meet Students and Alumni of the ESS Program!
Since the ESS minor and additional major were introduced in 2018 and 2021, respectively, the program has seen over 40 students graduate.
Read about some of their experiences.
About the Steinbrenner Institute
The Steinbrenner Institute for Environmental Education and Research was established in 2004 with the generous support of Lowell and Jan Steinbrenner to change the way the world thinks and acts about the environment.
The Steinbrenner Institute advances environmental education and research at Carnegie Mellon University in the following ways:
- We direct an undergraduate program in Environmental and Sustainability Studies with both a minor and an additional major that are accessible to students with any primary major across campus.
- We offer competitive doctoral fellowships to talented doctoral school students.
- We offer Steinbrenner Environmental Education Development grants to faculty, staff and students to fund innovative sustainability projects on the CMU campus.
- We promote and support environmental initiatives on the CMU campus.
- We facilitate connections and coordinate new research initiatives.