International Students-Study Abroad - Carnegie Mellon University

International Students

Students in the U.S. on nonimmigrant visas (most commonly F-1 or J-1) who are going abroad during the academic year should make sure to understand the extent of their abroad experience on their immigration status. They should meet with their Study Abroad Advisor if any questions arise, though should meet with their Foreign Student Advisor for more detailed immigration situations.

International students should always ensure that their I-20 or DS-2019 has a signature within a year of their return to the US.
Where & how to receive a signature:

  • Come to an OIE Express, each Monday, from 3-4pm in OIE (Warner Hall 3rd Floor). You can receive a signature on the spot.
  • Stop by OIE on a Signature Day for a signature on the spot. These days normally coincide with upcoming vacation breaks.
  • Drop off the document in our OIE office for 3 day processing.

To make an appointment with your Study Abroad Advisor, visit our CMU Study Abroad Portal.
To make an appointment with a Foreign Student Advisor call 412-268-5231.

To help prepare for your time abroad, see if your country’s embassy abroad has an emergency alert system. Many countries now have a system that will alert individuals if any large-scale emergency occurs and/or if an evacuation is necessary.