Senior User Interface Software Engineer
Job ID: 2016946
The National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) at Carnegie Mellon University is seeking a Senior User Interface Software Engineer to join our top-notch technical team. Previous robotics experience is desirable but not required. In this position, you will work to develop an intuitive touchscreen interface for safely controlling a complex multi-robot system with hundreds of active axes of motion. The system will be used simultaneously by multiple users with experience in industrial manufacturing but not robotics. Your solution will be deployed as part of a fully-integrated embedded system for an outside sponsor who demands reliability and predictability. Be a part of this exciting project that is breaking new ground for NREC!
- Designing custom human-computer user interfaces for autonomous systems
- Prototyping interface options and evaluating end-user performance
- Implementing designs on custom UI hardware
- Integrating commercial libraries for support of industry-standard communication protocols to the other components in the system
- Integrating with a central shared database for live display of system state
- Following best practices for team software development (peer reviews of designs and code, unit and system testing, version control, bug tracking, integrated documentation)
- Adapting and integrating proprietary and open source software packages and APIs
- Development in a Linux environment
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Strong C++ skills
- Experience with GUI frameworks (Qt preferred) in a Linux environment
- Graphical UI design experience
- Demonstrated understanding and use of software engineering concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to participate in a cross-functional team
- Technical communication skills
We especially want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:
- Software Architecture
- Professional software development processes
- Computer vision, robotics, machine learning, scientific computing, simulation, or graphics
- Networking interfaces and applications
- User interfaces
- Linux development environment
- Embedded systems or real time applications
- Developing hardware drivers
- Docker, CMake, Valgrind, and other development tools
You will have an impact on shaping the robotics revolution, collaborate with and learn from experts, and build your career in a very fast-growing field. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
Have an Impact!
- Remove waste from farming = more food
- Make industrial processes environmentally friendly
- Make hazardous jobs safer
- Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing
- Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals
Take Control of Your Career!
- Select the career pathway that interests you
- Influence the direction of projects
- Supportive of a non-standard schedule
- Maintain work/life balance
- Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 100 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
Join the Best Robotics R&D Group
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 25+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real-world challenges where automation and robots have a greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping, and position estimation. With over 160 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
At NREC, we value diversity, support it, and thrive on it for the benefits of our organization, our employees and our community. Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.