Welcome to TarrLab
We do high-risk research on hard problems in human vision. Our goals include:
- building better models of the intermediate and high-level compositional features that underlie vision
- exploring how visual processing interacts with cognitive, perceptual and affective processing
We do this using tools drawn from machine learning, computer vision, computer graphics, and neuroimaging, including fMRI, DTI, MEG, EEG.
5000 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15213
- Lab undergrad alumnus Josh Tenenbaum named 2019 MacArthur Fellow.
- Lab alumnus Will Hayward runs 245 miles in 52 hours (straight).
Will post race celebrating with lab alumnus Isabel Gauthier and Big’s Backyard Ultra founder Lazarus Lake.
- Congratulations to Juliet Shafto on successfully defending her Ph.D. Dissertation: "Visual perception of shape-contour type”!
- Congratulations to lab alumnus Daniel Leeds on receiving tenure at Fordham University in the Department of Computer and Information Sciences!
- The BOLD5000 paper is out.
- Congratulations to Prachi Mahableshwarkar and
RaashmiKrishnasamy on presenting their research posters at the Meeting of the Minds and on graduating! Prachi’s presentation was featured in a CMU news story.
Congratulations to lab alumnus Adrian Nestor on receiving tenure at the University of Toronto Scarborough in the Department of Psychology.
- Congratulations to Juliet Shafto on receiving an American Association of University Women Graduate Fellowship.
- Congratulations to Ana and John on their marriage!
- Congratulations to Ying on successfully defending her Ph.D.!
- Elissa Aminoff was featured in Scientific American.
- Ying Yang was part of the winning team in the first-ever BrainHub NeuroHackathon, Lab alum Mariya Toneva was also a member of the winning team.
- Congratulations to Elissa Aminoff who has accepted a faculty position in Psychology at Fordham University.
- CMU BrainHub Startup Neon selected as World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer.
- Mike is a movie star (not!) See the trailer here: Fastball
- Welcome to our new RA, Kevin Tan!
- Daniel Leeds accepts
facultyposition in Computer Science at Fordham University.
- Daniel, Eva, and Yang all get
- Congrats to lab RA, Carol Jew, on entering the Ph.D. Program in Brain and Cognitive Sciences at the University of Rochester this coming fall.
- Congratulations to Yang Xu on successfully defending his Ph.D.!
- Welcome to
juliet shaftoand tina liu(psychology)
- Congratulations to Heiða María Sigurðardóttir on successfully defending her Ph.D.!
- Congratulations to Daniel Leeds on successfully defending his Ph.D.!
- Congratulations to Lindsay Victoria on successfully defending her Ph.D.!
- Announcing the fribble prize! Publish a peer-reviewed paper using any of our
fribbles let usknow, and receive a real-live 3D printed fribble.