Principal Lecturer of Arabic Studies
Education: Ph.D. The Ohio State University, Twentieth Century French Literature and Culture, M.A. Kent State University, French Literature, B.A. Faculté des Langues, Ain Shams University, Egypt.
BioMy collegiate teaching experience is in French and Arabic languages, literature and cultures. Since January 2012, I began at CMU as an instructor of Online French language and taught courses on French culture, but my recent experience has been in teaching all levels of the Arabic language and developing new Arabic language and cultural courses. Besides teaching, I hold campus activities that connect Pittsburgh and Doha students every Spring semester and ones that promote learning about diversity, tolerance, and understanding of Arab culture. Past events: "Arab Cuisine, Cooking Workshop" (February 2017) and "Discover the Unexpected: Arabic-Hebrew CommUNITY" (April 2019). Upcoming events: “Reem Kassis and Mike Solomonov: A conversation on food and national identity" (April 2021) and "Mary Manassa and Andrey Kogan: The Intersections of Arabic and Hebrew Music" (April 2021).
Areas of Interest
- Contemporary Arab Identity
- Coptic Identity
- Film and Censorship
- Introduction to French Culture
- Elementary through Advanced Arabic
- Arab Culture Through Dialogue, Film, and Literature
- Understanding Cultural Complexities: Minorities in the Middle East and North Africa
- Dietrich College Grand Challenge First-Year Seminar: Palestinian and Israeli Food Cultures
Selected Awards and Honors
- Recipient of the Institute of International Education & The Aspen Institute's Stevens Initiative Harnessing Innovation Through Virtual Exchange (HIVE) Sub-Award (Spring 2018 to Fall 2019)
Selected Community, University, and Professional Service
CMU Arab Student Organization Advisor
- Volunteer at Jewish Family and Community Services in Pittsburgh
- Creator of Arabic videos to support Online Arabic for Global Exchange. Department of Modern Languages, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA. 2019.
- Co-author, content developer, and editor of Arabic Online for Global Exchange. Department of Modern Languages, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA. 2013 and 2016.