Thursday, January 19, 2012
Twelve restaurants in the heart of Oakland have teamed up to provide lunches for just $5 from Jan. 23-27. When you order a $5 lunch from any participating restaurant you’ll receive an entry card for a chance to win free lunch for a month in Oakland along with other great prizes. The participating eateries are:
- AJ’s Incas Peruvian Restaurant, 3608 Fifth Ave.
- Joe Mama’s Italian Deluxe, 3716 Forbes Ave.
- Leena’s Food, 121 Oakland Ave.
- Milano’s Pizza, 3606 Fifth Ave.
- Pamela’s Diner, 3703 Forbes Ave.
- Peter’s Pub, 116 Oakland Ave.
- Pittsburgh Pretzel, 3531 Forbes Ave.
- Prince of India, 3614 Fifth Ave.
- Quaker Steak & Lube, 3600 Forbes Ave.
- Red Oak Café, 3610 Forbes Ave.
- Sciulli’s Pizza, 3404 Fifth Ave.
- Sorrento’s Pizza Roma, 233 Atwood St.
Carnegie Mellon's swimming teams are hosting the 16th annual 1,650 yard swim challenge fundraiser on Sunday, Feb. 26 in the University Center pool. The entry fee is $25 and all proceeds benefit CMU's men's and women's swimming and diving teams. Entries are due Feb. 10. For an entry form, contact Jimmy Goldman at 412-683-0856 or email@example.com.
The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust is offering students, faculty and staff discounted tickets to several performances in January, February and March. They include:
- The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs (Jan. 21 at the Byham Theater); Suite Bill (Jan. 21 at the August Wilson Center);
- Sean Jones Duets Generations (Jan. 26 at the August Wilson Center);
- PMT’s Spring Awakening (Jan. 26 – Feb. 4 at the Byham);
- Billy Elliot (Jan. 31-Feb. 12 at the Benedum Center);
- Cedric Watson & Bijou Creole (Feb. 8 at the Byham);
- National Geographic Live: Ocean Soul Brian Skerry (Feb. 12 at the Byham);
- PJO Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia (Feb. 18 at the August Wilson Center);
- Dance Works Rotterdam (Feb. 18 at the Byham);
- Cirque Dreams Pop Goes the Rock (Feb. 21-26 at Heinz Hall);
- Between a Ballad and a Blue (Feb. 24-25 at the August Wilson Center);
- Bodiography Red Carpet Rollout (Feb. 24-25 at the Byham);
- Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy (Feb. 25 at the Benedum);
- Armitage Gone! Dance in Three Theories (March 3 at the Byham);
- Blues Brothers Revue (March 8 at the Byham); and
- Dynamic Women of Dance (March 9-10 at the August Wilson Center).
To order tickets, go to http://www.trustarts.org and login using the promo code CMU1112 to receive the discount.
Special Dinner and Show packages, which include dinner at Lidia’s, are available for the Feb. 9 performance of Billy Elliot. To order these packages go to http://www.trustarts.org/lidias
Rev. Jisen Coghlan, a senior priest from the Zen Center of Pittsburgh, will be hosting weekly meditation sessions in the University Center's Dowd Room beginning Jan. 25. A brief instruction will be offered at 4:30 p.m. for those new to meditation, followed by the regular session from 5 - 6:15 p.m. The sessions will include meditation, walking and conversation. Please wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing appropriate for sitting on either a cushion or chair; meditation cushions will be available. There will be an introduction to meditation from 4:30 - 6 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 18 in the UC's Danforth Lounge. If you have questions, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Graduate Student Service and Teaching Award nominations are now open and will be due on Friday, Feb. 10. The committees would greatly appreciate your support in soliciting and submitting nominations of graduate students who have excelled in teaching or service so that their efforts can be recognized by the university community. Nomination information can be found at http://www.cmu.edu/celebration-of-education/graduate-student/index.html. Awards will be presented on Thursday, April 5, at the "Innovation with Impact: Graduate Student Celebration of Research, Teaching and Service" during Graduate Student Appreciation Week. Recipients will also be recognized at the Celebration of Education on Wednesday, April 25.