EducationPh.D., University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
Research interests are in high-energy particle physics and, in particular, in experiments at colliding beam accelerators.
Our Carnegie Mellon group is part of the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) collaboration, which has constructed and is operating a massive detector for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). The LHC is a proton-proton colliding beam accelerator at the European accelerator center, CERN, in Geneva, Switzerland http://cms.cern.ch/ and http://public.web.cern.ch/public/. It has reached center-of-mass collision energies of 8 TeV, the highest ever created in an accelerator.
Following the recent discovery of a Higgs boson by the CMS and ATLAS experiments the main goals of CMS include probing the properties of the Higgs boson in detail, and searching for Physics Beyond the Standard Model. Such new physics might manifest itself through supersymmetry, dark-matter candidate particles, or additional quarks and leptons beyond the known three families. This latter aspect of searches is a specific focus of mine.
- V. Khachatryan et al.,Measurement of prompt J/ψ pair production in pp collisions at √s = 7 Tev,J. High Energ. Phys. 2014, 1007 (2014)
- The CMS collaboration,Evidence for the direct decay of the 125 GeV Higgs boson to fermions,Nature Physics 10, 557 (2014)
- CMS Collaboration, Measurement of the Υ(1S), Υ(2S), and Υ(3S) cross sections in pp collisions at √ s = 7 TeV, Phys. Lett. B 727, 101 (2013)
- S. Chatrchyan et al., Search for pair produced fourth-generation up-type quarks in pp collisions at with a lepton in the final state, Physics Letters B 718, 307 (2012)
- G. Adams et al., Observation of J/ψ→3γ, Physical Review Letters 101, 101801 (2008)
- R. Briere et al., New measurements of Υ(1S) decays to charmonium final states, Physical Review D 70, 072001 (2004)
- M. Acciarri et al., Measurement of the probability of gluon splitting into charmed quarks in hadronic Z decays, Physics Letters B 476, 243 (2000)
- M. Acciarri et al., A measurement of τ polarization at LEP, Physics Letters B 341, 245 (1994)
- B. Adeva et al., A precision measurement of the number of neutrino species, Physics Letters B 249, 341 (1990)
- I.C. Brock et al., Luminosity measurement in the L3 detector at LEP, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 381, 236 (1996)
- H. Grassmann, E. Lorenz, H.G. Moser, H. Vogel, Results from a CsI(Tl) test calorimeter with photodiode readout between 1 and 20 GeV, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 235, 319 (1985)