EducationPh.D., University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
Research interests are in experimental high-energy particle physics and, in particular, the use of proton-proton and electron-positron colliding beam accelerators.
Our group is a member of the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) collaboration, which has constructed a massive detector for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). The LHC is a 14 TeV proton-proton colliding beam accelerator at the European accelerator center, CERN, in Geneva, Switzerland. To find out more, visit the CMS web page at: http://cms.cern.ch/ and CERN's web page at http://public.web.cern.ch/public/. When the LHC turns on in the fall of 2009, it will be the highest-energy acceleratorin the world, exceeding the Tevatron accelerator at Fermilab by a factor of 7 in energy. With the CMS detector, we hope to discover not only the Higgs boson of the Standard Model, but entirely new families of particles predicted by various theories, among them possible candidates for the Dark Matter that makes up a large fraction of the matter in the universe.
Our group is also a member of the CLEO experiment (http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/Research/EPP/CLEO/) at the electron-positron collider, CESR, at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. The experiment has completed data taking but data analysis is still in progress. We are studying the properties of the heavy "b" (beauty) and "c" (charm) quarks. The weak decays of these quarks probe the CKM structure of the Standard model. The spectrum and decays of "quarkonium" (bound states of a quark with its own antiquark) probe theoretical potential models and quantum chromodynamics, QCD.
- S. Chatrchyan et al., Search for pair produced fourth-generation up-type quarks in pp collisions at with a lepton in the final state, Physics Letters B 718, 307 (2012)
- V. Khachatryan et al., Upsilon production cross section in pp collisions at √s̅=7 TeV, Physical Review D 83, 112004 (2011)
- G. Adams et al., Observation of J/ψ→3γ, Physical Review Letters 101, 101801 (2008)
- R. Briere et al., New measurements of Υ(1S) decays to charmonium final states, Physical Review D 70, 072001 (2004)
- M. Acciarri et al., Measurement of the probability of gluon splitting into charmed quarks in hadronic Z decays, Physics Letters B 476, 243 (2000)
- M. Acciarri et al., A measurement of τ polarization at LEP, Physics Letters B 341, 245 (1994)
- B. Adeva et al., A precision measurement of the number of neutrino species, Physics Letters B 249, 341 (1990)
- I.C. Brock et al., Luminosity measurement in the L3 detector at LEP, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 381, 236 (1996)
- H. Grassmann, E. Lorenz, H.G. Moser, H. Vogel, Results from a CsI(Tl) test calorimeter with photodiode readout between 1 and 20 GeV, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 235, 319 (1985)