Give to CMU Physics
The Physics Department is a vibrant community committed to the discovery of knowledge and the training of the next generation of scientists. Our faculty, students and alumni transform how we understand the universe around us and enable world changing technologies. Our Department’s history stretches back to the very beginning of the Carnegie Technical Schools and reaches into the future through our students. Every gift to our program has a direct impact on that future.
Your gift to the Physics Department expresses your commitment to innovation. Every gift, large and small, makes an impact not just on the Physics Department, but on the world at large as our students and faculty share their knowledge and skills.
We encourage you to direct your gift to one of three priority funds:
• The Physics Undergraduate Enrichment Fund enables the Department to provide a wide set of programs for our undergraduates that are at the heart of the community we are constantly working to build. Programs include clubs and special events, recognition gifts for our outstanding graduates, travel to conferences and meetings to present results, and summer research opportunities.
• The Physics Graduate Student Fund provides support for community-building graduate student activities, research, and travel to conferences and meetings.
• The Physics Department Discretionary Fund consists of gifts that are unrestricted and used to support the areas of greatest need each year. Your gift to this fund helps support both our research and education programs.
Donors who make major gifts (generally $50,000 and above) often choose to create lasting legacies by establishing or contributing to an endowed fund. Endowments are permanent assets that generate income to support a particular program or area specified by the donor.
Endowed funds can be unrestricted, providing a source of 'seed funding' for research or designated for a variety of purposes including scholarships and fellowships; professorships; academic or research programs; and maintenance of facilities.
Donors who establish endowed funds or make major gifts for buildings, research or program funds, or other ongoing projects may choose have their named associated with the fund or the area. Or they may wish to honor or memorialize another person.
How do I make my gift?
There are many ways to give to the Physics Department at Carnegie Mellon.
- Credit Card
- Wire Transfers
- Gifts of Stock, Bonds or Mutual Funds
- Planned Gifts such as Bequests, CGAs, etc.
- Payroll Deduction
- Matching Gifts
- Faculty/Staff Payroll Deduction
Contact the Mellon College of Science Development Staff:
Senior Associate Director of Development
Office: 409A Mellon Institute