EducationPh.D., University of Pennsylvania
My main area of research is solid state physics and statistical mechanics, with an emphasis on computer simulations. I have worked especially on thermodynamic phase transitions combining computer simulations with a renormalization-group analysis. I have also been involved in the development of new algorithms for more efficient simulations, to enable the study of problems that would otherwise involve prohibitively long computer runs.
In recent years, I have become involved in simulations of biological molecules. Such simulations require very large computer resources, which limit the problems that can be treated. Our group has developed new methods that have greatly improved the efficiency of some calculations and we are currently extending the range of applications.
Other areas of interest include magnetism and crystal growth.
- Roberta L. Klatzky, Pnina Gershon, Vikas Shivaprabhu, Randy Lee, Bing Wu, George Stetten, Robert H. Swendsen, A model of motor performance during surface penetration: from physics to voluntary control, Experimental Brain Research 230, 251 (2013)
- Tristan Bereau, Robert H. Swendsen, Optimized convergence for multiple histogram analysis, Journal of Computational Physics 228, 6119 (2009)
- Robert H. Swendsen, Statistical mechanics of colloids and Boltzmann’s definition of the entropy, American Journal of Physics 74, 187 (2006)
- Alan Ferrenberg, D. Landau, Robert Swendsen, Statistical errors in histogram reweighting, Physical Review E 51, 5092 (1995)
- Shankar Kumar, John M. Rosenberg, Djamal Bouzida, Robert H. Swendsen, Peter A. Kollman, Multidimensional free-energy calculations using the weighted histogram analysis method, Journal of Computational Chemistry 16, 1339 (1995)
- Shankar Kumar, John M. Rosenberg, Djamal Bouzida, Robert H. Swendsen, Peter A. Kollman, THE weighted histogram analysis method for free-energy calculations on biomolecules. I. The method, Journal of Computational Chemistry 13, 1011 (1992)
- Anthony Rosato, Katherine Strandburg, Friedrich Prinz, Robert Swendsen, Why the Brazil nuts are on top: Size segregation of particulate matter by shaking, Physical Review Letters 58, 1038 (1987)
- Michael Widom, Katherine Strandburg, Robert Swendsen, Quasicrystal equilibrium state, Physical Review Letters 58, 706 (1987)
- Robert H. Swendsen, Jian-Sheng Wang, Replica Monte Carlo Simulation of Spin-Glasses, Physical Review Letters 57, 2607 (1986)
- Alan Ferrenberg, Robert Swendsen, Optimized Monte Carlo data analysis, Physical Review Letters 63, 1195 (1989)
- Alan Ferrenberg, Robert Swendsen, New Monte Carlo technique for studying phase transitions, Physical Review Letters 61, 2635 (1988)
- G. Pawley, R. Swendsen, D. Wallace, K. Wilson, Monte Carlo renormalization-group calculations of critical behavior in the simple-cubic Ising model, Physical Review B 29, 4030 (1984)
- Robert Swendsen, Dynamics of random sequential adsorption, Physical Review A 24, 504 (1981)
- Robert Swendsen, Monte Carlo Renormalization Group, Physical Review Letters 42, 859 (1979)
- Robert Swendsen, Jian-Sheng Wang, Nonuniversal critical dynamics in Monte Carlo simulations, Physical Review Letters 58, 86 (1987)