Graduate Student Conference Funding is provided by the Graduate Student Assembly and the Provost's Office, and is managed by the Office of the Assistant Vice Provost for Graduate Education. The goal of the funding is to enable more Carnegie Mellon graduate students to make presentations at key conferences/ exhibitions in their fields or attend conferences and learn about the broader field of study to which they belong. This funding opportunity is available to individual graduate students, a group of graduate students attending the same conference and/or a group of members from a registered club/organization attending the same conference.
Graduate Student Conference Funding Application Submission Weeks (2014/15):
- SUBMIT between June 1 -14, 2014 (for conferences between 7/1/14 and 9/30/14 only)
- SUBMIT between September 1 -14, 2014 (for conferences between 10/1/14 and 12/31/14 only)
- SUBMIT between December 1 - 14, 2014 (for conferences between 1/1/15 and 3/31/15 only)
- SUBMIT between March 1 -14, 2015 (for conferences between 4/1/15 and 6/30/15 only)
- SUBMIT between June 1 -14, 2015 (for conferences between 7/1/15 and 9/30/15 only)
Conference Funding Details
This award amount is $500 per student with a maximum amount of $1,000 per group. Awardees are selected through a lottery process on a quarterly basis. It is considered a partial source of support and applicants are required to seek funds from the following other sources first, before applying for these funds, including:
- Funding from the conferences they will be attending or speaking
- Their own advisor
- Their department
- Their college
The goal of the funding is to enable more Carnegie Mellon graduate students to:
- Make presentations at key conferences/exhibitions in their fields.
- Attend conferences and learn about the broader field of study to which they belong.
Applicants are required to seek funds from the following other sources first, before applying for these funds:
- Conferences at which Applicant will be attending or speaking
- Applicant's own advisor
- Applicant's department
- Applicant's college
A letter from the applicant's advisor is required indicating whether there are department- and college-level options for alternative funding. Graduate students may not receive more than one Conference Funding award per academic year. Approximately 90 awards will be distributed each academic year.
To apply please complete the Conference Funding Application and ask your advisor to complete the Advisor Support Form.
PLEASE MAKE NOTE:
All graduate students who accept conference funding support from the Graduate Student Assembly and the Provost's Office commit to presenting a poster, paper, powerpoint, or other appropriate format of their work at the annual Innovation with Impact Research Exhibition during Graduate Student Appreciation Week. Next year, the exhibition is scheduled for Thursday, April 9, 2015.