Media-Vehicle Electrification Group - Carnegie Mellon University
- The Allegheny Front, WESA NPR News Station, CMU Studies Electric vs. Hybrid Cars, Feb 9, 2013.
- The Daily Beast: Electric Vehicles May Be the Green Car of the Future, But Hybrids Are the Green Car of the Present, Jan 24, 2013.
- Green Car Congress: CMU/Ford study assesses optimal mix of conventional, hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles for minimizing GHG and cost, Oct 31, 2012.
- Green Car Congress: CMU study finds small battery PHEVs and gasoline hybrids the least-cost policy solution to reducing gasoline consumption, Oct 29, 2012.
- Design News: Could Pure Electrics Emit More than Hybrids?, Nov 15, 2012.
- The Street: Tesla Motors pollutes today for a greener tomorrow, Nov 7, 2012.
- Edmunds: California ZEV mandate -- Would a gas tax be better? Oct 17, 2012.
- Automotive World: US: PHEVs give better subsidy yields than EVs - study, July 26, 2012.
- Dogan News Agency: Sabancı Üniversitesi mezunları Türkiye’yi dünyaya taşıyor, July 25, 2012.
- The Washington Post: Palmer, B. "Hybrid, electric or gas: What's a car buyer interested in the environment to do?" March 19, 2012.
- MIT Technology Review: Bullis, K. "Battery to take on diesel and natural gas: Aquion Energy says its batteries could make the power grid unnecessary in some countries," Feb 28, 2012.
- Pittsburgh Post Gazette: "Commerce Secretary John Bryson Visits Aquion Energy," Feb 1, 2012.
- Autoblog Green: "Why plug-in vehicles with "small" battery packs should be subsidized in a big way," Oct 6, 2010.
- The Truth About Cars: Niedermeyer, E., "Report knocks 'big battery' plug-in subsidies, will the DOE notice?" , Sept 28, 2011.
- TheGreenCarWebsite.co.uk: Lucas, P., "Are small batteries the future for hybrid cars," Sept 28, 2011.
- Greenwire, E&E Publishing: Plautz, J., "Incentives should target hybrids, not pure EVs -- report," Washington D.C., Sept 28, 2011.
- Green Car Congress: Millikin, M., "CMU study finds that HEVs and PHEVs with small battery packs offer more emissions and oil displacement benefits per dollar spent than large pack PHEVs and BEVs; policy implications," Sept 27, 2011.
- Alt Energy Stocks: Peterson, J. "Plug-in vehicles have been weighed in the balance and found wanting," Sept 27, 2011.
- HybridCars, "Carnegie Mellon study says hybrids are better target for government investment than EVs," Sept 26, 2011.
- Bloomberg News: Ohnsman, A., “U.S. Battery, Plug-in Car Push Costs Exceed Rewards, New Study Says,” Sept 26, 2011
- Carnegie Mellon: Swaney, C. "Press Release: Carnegie Mellon Study Finds Benefits of Plug-in Vehicles Depend on Battery Size," Sept 26, 2011.
- Science: Apt, J. Peterson, S. B., Whitacre, J. F., “Battery Vehicles Reduce CO2 Emissions” August 12, 2011
- Toyota Ideas for Good Website: Commentary on Hybrid Energy Devices, May 1, 2011, (Whitacre)
- Science: Mueller, K. and J. Yeston "Editors' Choice: The Pros (and Cons) of Plugging In," V331, Feb 18 2011.
- Pittsburgh Tribune Review: “Battery Innovators Charging Ahead," January 2, 2011
- EV World: Moore, B. “The Case for Small Electric Hybrids,” Dec 14, 2010.
- Green Car Congress: Millikin, M. “CMU Study Explores Optimizing PHEV Design and Allocation to Minimize Life Cycle Cost, Petroleum Consumption, and GHG Emissions,” Dec 6, 2010.
- Wall Street Journal: Ramsey, M. “High Battery Cost Curbs Electric Cars,” Oct 17, 2010.
- Wall Street Journal: Article citing Aquion Energy as having been selected by VentureTech as one of the United States’ 50 most promising Tech Start-ups, October 12, 2010.
- Pittsburgh Business Times, “Aquion Energy charges up battery production with new Lawrenceville facility,” August 9, 2010
- MSNBC: Petersen, J. “Toyota’s Straight Talk on Plug-in Vehicles,” July 12 2010.
- IEC Engineering and Technology Magazine: Edwards, C. “Batteries Struggle for Greater Power,” n9, June 16, 2010.
- Minyanville: Rohrlich, J. “Welcome Chevy Volt, GM’s Next Flop,” April 1, 2010.
- Toyota Sustainable Mobility Website: January 14, 2010, video recording of Jay Whitacre’s lecture on “Advanced Batteries”.
- Nature: “From Steel to Science” (Jay Whitacre and spin off Aquion Energy described in this piece), v463, January 14 2010.
- IEEE Spectrum: Ross, P.E. “Loser: Why the Chevy Volt will Fizzle,” January 2010.
- Commentary to Chemical and Engineering News on the environmental footprint of electric vehicle batteries, 2010 (Samaras)
- Commentary to Rocky Mountain Institute's Solutions Journal on serving as a Technical Advisor for RMI's Project Get Ready for Municipalities preparing for electric transportation, 2010 (Samaras)
- Commentary to Audubon Magazine on the environmental footprint of electric vehicle batteries, 2010 (Samaras)
- MIT Technology Review: (article about Jay Whitacre’s Sodium Ion Battery approach), December 2, 2009.
- Pittsburgh Tribune Review: “Carnegie Mellon University battery generates interest, $5M grant” (Announcement of $5,000,000 grant to Jay Whitacre to build pilot facility to manufacture batteries), November 25, 2009
- CNET News: LaMonica, M. “Q&A: Will the Chevy Volt make money for GM?,” October 30, 2009.
- Nippon Nightly News: "The future of the Automobile Industry" (Japan), April 2009 (Michalek)
- IEEE Spectrum: Schneider, D. “Why the Chevy Volt Doesn’t Add Up,” March 9, 2009.
- Automobile Magazine: Peterson, A. “Carnegie Mellon Study Finds High Capacity Plug-In Hybrids Cost Inefficient,” March 5, 2009.
- CNNMoney.com Fortune Magazine: Taylor III, A. “Taking the Charge out of Chevy’s Volt: A new study casts doubt on the benefits of the automaker’s much-hyped plug-in hybrid,” March 3, 2009.
- U.S. News and World Report: “Study: Chevy Volt ‘Not Cost Effective in Any Scenario,” U.S. News & World Report, March 2, 2009.
- Bloomberg News: Ohnsman, A. “GM Volt Cost May Limit Value to Drivers, Study Finds,” February 26, 2009.
- MIT Technology Review: Fairley, P. (2009) “Toyota to Deliver Plug-In Hybrids: The new Prius is designed so that its battery pack can be swapped out for a plug-in lithium-ion battery,” January 13, 2009.
- Commentary to Philadelphia Inquirer, reprinted in Minneapolis Star-Tribune, 2009 (Samaras)
- Samaras, C., and M.G. Morgan, Cap and Trade is Not Enough, Guest Opinion in Energy Biz Magazine, July/August 2009
- Commentary to CTV Canada, 2009 (Samaras)
- Commentary to Gasoline Marketer Magazine, 2009 (Samaras)
- Commentary to Business to Business Magazine, 2009 (Samaras)
- Commentary to Plenty Magazine, 2009 (Samaras)
- Green Car Congress: Millikin, M., "Study Finds PHEV Li-ion Iron Phosphate Cells Show Little Capacity Fade Under Combined Driving and V2G Usage; Economic Model Suggests Incentives Will Be Required for Vehicle Owners to Participate in V2G", 2009.
- Sakti, A., contribution to ACEEE Fact sheet: "Factors that can contribute to cost reduction of lithium ion batteries for personal vehicles," August 2011.
- Sakti, A., Consulting internship with the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (ACEEE) on battery related issues for electrified vehicles in Washington, D.C., June-Aug 2010, June-Aug 2011.
- Traut, E., Viewing of the Hymotion Prius for employees and students at the National Energy Technology Laboratory for Bring Your Child to Work Day. Pittsburgh, 2010.