CMU-Alert Test Today
Friday, Aug. 29
A test of Carnegie Mellon's Emergency Notification Service, CMU-Alert, was conducted today (4:30 p.m.) on the Pittsburgh campus. This was only a test. In the event of an actual emergency, the service would direct you to visit this page for information, instructions and timely updates.
All students are pre-registered for CMU-Alert; Carnegie Mellon faculty and staff are encouraged to register for this service if they have not already done so.
The CMU-Alert service sends voice and/or text messages to registered phones in the event of a campus emergency.
You can register for the CMU-Alert service online from this site. Click on the "CMU-Alert-Register" link in the grey box at the top right-hand side of the page. You will need to login with your username and password to access the registration page.
Your contact information will be treated confidentially. You will be contacted by the CMU-Alert system only if there is an incident/event that threatens public safety or during tests of the system in the spring and fall semesters. Note that the text and voice options may carry a nominal fee for recipients, depending on your cellphone carrier and cellphone plan. The recipient is responsible for these fees.
Alert information will also be posted in a special area at the top of www.cmu.edu directing users to more information on this site. This site will be updated regularly in case of emergency.
If you have difficulties receiving the voice or text messages, or problems registering for the service, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attention Faculty and Staff:
Update Your Telephone Information To Receive Texts From CMU-Alert
Many CMU-Alert text message subscribers did not receive their text message during the last CMU-Alert test this past April. It is believed that the majority of these failures were a result of our new CMU–Alert service provider, e2Campus, needing mobile phone carrier information in addition to phone numbers.
Therefore, Environmental Health & Safety is asking all faculty and staff who subscribe to the CMU-Alert text message service to follow the steps below to update your telephone information.
Please update your information.
Here's how to update your telephone information:
- Click on the Faculty and Staff ONLY CMU-Alert-Register link on the right.
- Under the "Services" tab in orange, review your telephone number. If your carrier is incorrect or set to "default," you will need to change your record.
To update your information:
- Enter your new mobile number;
- Select a carrier;
- Click "add SMS";
- Our CMU-Alert vendor, e2Campus, will send a validation code to your mobile device; (Please note that there is more than one option for some telephone carriers; if you don't receive a validation code, please try the other option. If you still don't receive a validation code, please send email to email@example.com for assistance.)
- Enter this code and click validate;
- Finally, delete the old number;
- Also, please verify your campus group under the "Groups" tab in orange.
Thank you for your attention and cooperation. If you need assistance, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register for CMU-Alert
All members of the Carnegie Mellon community are encouraged to register for CMU-Alert (login required). CMU-Alert sends voice and/or text messages to your registered phone in the event of a campus emergency.
Your contact information will be treated confidentially. You will be contacted by the CMU-Alert service only if there is an incident/event that threatens public safety or during tests of the system in the spring and fall semesters.
Note that the text and voice options may carry a nominal fee for recipients, depending on your mobile phone carrier and mobile phone plan. Questions or concerns about the service can be emailed to email@example.com.
More information on registering for CMU-Alert is available on the Environmental Health & Safety website.
Register for CMU-Alert today!
Help ensure the safety and well-being of the CMU community.
University Police: 412-268-2323 | Ethics Hotline: 1-877-700-7050
Download the CMU Mobile Alert App
The CMU Mobile Alert App is a free iPhone and Android mobile app for students, faculty staff and parents. It was developed to provide:
- Emergency procedures and guidance for 21 different emergencies;
- Information regarding crimes and crime prevention;
- Links to important Carnegie Mellon websites;
- Interactive maps that provide information about locations of Automatic External Defibrillators (AEDs);
- Automatic dialing for University Police, Safety Escorts and 911.
Download the iPhone app. | Download the Android app. |Download the CMU Mobile Alert App flyer for your department bulletin board.