Hamerschlag and Scaife Water and Electrical Update
1:30 p.m., Friday, May 24, 2013
Current Status of Affected Building Systems:
- Hamerschlag Hall Water Service – On to 80% of building, 100% restored by 4 p.m. today.
- Hamerschlag Hall Elevator Service – Off, expect service restored by 4 p.m. Saturday.
- Hamerschlag Hall Electrical Service to HVAC on F Level – Off, will be drying out until Tuesday morning when it will be tested by an outside testing firm.
- Hamerschlag Hall Electrical Service, all other locations - On.
- Hamerschlag Hall Fire Alarm – On, except for coverage in selected areas of D and F levels.
- Roberts Hall – Normal Operation.
- Scaife Hall Water Service – On.
Hamerschlag Hall D Level Restoration Progress
- Standing water has been removed.
- Carpets damaged by flood will be removed by 4 p.m. Sunday.
- All replacement carpets expected to be installed by Wednesday, June 5.
- Damaged walls to be opened up for drying by 4 p.m. Sunday. Wall repairs to precede carpet replacement.
Faculty and staff may access all areas of Hamerschlag Hall. However, floors will be sticky in areas where carpeting has been removed until new carpet has been installed. During this period please consider affected areas to be a construction area and dress appropriately if you need to enter these spaces.
Hamerschlag & Scaife Water and Electrical Service Notice
8:05 a.m., Friday, May 24, 2013
Dear Members of the Campus Community:
At approximately 5:30 AM today a 4” water line broke on the D level of Hamerschlag Hall, flooding both the D Level and F Level of that building and causing significant damage in those spaces. The water line has been shut off and FMS crews are working to remove the water and begin restoration.
There is no water service to Hamerchlag Hall currently, with expected resolution later today. There is electric service to the entire building, but it is likely that electric service will need to be shut down at various times during stabilization and repair. Both elevators are currently operating, but occupants should expect interruptions to elevator service.
Scafe & Roberts Halls
Water service has been lost to Scaife Hall and the Fire Alarm system in Roberts Hall is in an alarm condition. FMS anticipates correcting these conditions within the day. Both Scaife and Roberts have electrical service intact.
Appreciating the inconvenience, we ask that those in Hamerschlag and Scaife use restroom facilities in adjacent buildings.
Updates will be provided via the FMS Announce system as new information becomes available. Questions or concerns should be directed to Marty Altschul at 412-268-2529.
Register for CMU-Alert
All members of the Carnegie Mellon community are encouraged to register for CMU-Alert (login required). CMU-Alert sends voice and/or text messages to your registered phone in the event of a campus emergency.
Your contact information will be treated confidentially. You will be contacted by the CMU-Alert service only if there is an incident/event that threatens public safety or during tests of the system in the spring and fall semesters.
Note that the text and voice options may carry a nominal fee for recipients, depending on your mobile phone carrier and mobile phone plan. Questions or concerns about the service can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information on registering for CMU-Alert is available on the Environmental Health & Safety website.
Register for CMU-Alert today!
Help ensure the safety and well-being of the CMU community.
University Police: 412-268-2323 | Ethics Hotline: 1-877-700-7050