August 03, 2020
Classic Google Hangouts Moves to Chat and Meet
Google is retiring Classic Hangouts and consolidating the app into two products: Google Chat and Google Meet. These solutions offer loads of functionality and both are available with your Andrew userID and password as part of Google for Education. Here's what you'll get with each...
- Makes it easy to hold individual chats
- Allows you to create rooms for your team or cross-functional groups
- Automates the chat experience with bots
- Includes file sharing and web conferencing integration with Google Drive and Google Meet
- Offers video conferencing for individuals or groups
- Includes screen sharing capability
- Now enhanced with real-time captioning
- Includes file sharing and scheduling integration with Google Drive and Google Calendar
How This May Impact You
On August 4th, 2020, CMU will disable Classic Google Hangouts for the campus community.
- You'll need to log into hangouts.google.com to view your Classic Google Hangouts group chat history—Google will not transfer that information to Chat.
- Customers who logged into the Google Hangouts app with their Andrew userID and password will be prompted to update to the Google Meet and Google Chat apps.