Frequently Asked Questions-Parking & Transportation Services - Carnegie Mellon University

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I cancel my payroll deduction for a parking permit? If you wish to cancel your payroll deduction, you must contact our staff account, Julie Stephenson at

How do I retain or cancel my parking permit if I go on a Leave of Absence? If you wish to retain your parking while on leave of absence, you must pay the monthly fee associated with that permit.  You have the ability to cancel at any time; however, parking in your current area may not be available upon your return.  At that time you have the option of being placed on a waitlist.

How do I change my tax option with the current automatic rollover process? All questions regarding tax option changes should be directed to our staff accountant, Julie Stephenson at  

What if I need to change my vehicle information with the current automatic rollover process?  Please email the parking office at with your new information.  We will need the Year/Make/Model/Color and the License Plate Number/State (even if the same). All questions regarding vehicle updates should be directed to our general email account at

I am a current permit holder, but do not wish to be automatically rolled over for the next year.  What do I need to do to make sure I am not assigned a permit for FY17-18?  You can cancel your permit for the 2017-18 year by "opting out" of your permit.  This can be done by visiting our website at and following the "opt out" instructions.

I am not a permit holder currently, but wish to be on waitlist for FY17-18.  How do I sign up for the waitlist? You may be added to our waitlist by visiting our website beginning June 1, 2017.  Waitlist choices are fulfilled as space becomes available in your requested locations.  You will be notified via email should something become available in your desired location.

I am an incoming student for FY17-18, what lots are available for me to obtain a parking permit?  Student parking can be obtained in any of the following lots during the waitlist period: 4700 Fifth Avenue, East Campus Garage, Fraternities, Second Avenue (PTC) and Donner.

How often is the waitlist reviewed, and how will I be notified if I've been assigned a permit?   The waitlist is reviewed on a consistent basis and spaces are allocated as space becomes available.  If a space becomes available, you will be notified via email.

I am interested in switching parking locations.  How do I change my selection for FY17-18? You can switch locations by adding your name to our waitlist at:   Placing your name on a waitlist is not a guarantee you will receive parking.  You will be notified when a space becomes available in your desired location. 

What happens if I decide to cancel my parking in the middle of the year? Do I receive a refund (if paid all at once) or will I be charge for the entire year?  You can decide at any time to cancel your parking permit.  To cancel, please visit our office, located on the 1st floor of the East Campus Garage Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm or send an email to  You will be removed from both the parking and payroll database once we are in receipt of your gate card and hangtag.  If you've paid for your permit for the entire year, your permit use will be prorated and you will be refunded for the difference.  All cancelled permits must be accommodated with proof of purchase in order to have your refund processed. Refunds are prorated at one-half a month for permits returned before the 15th of the month (no exceptions), permits are charged the full month for anything after to the 15th.  If your permit is returned on the 1st day of the month, you will not be charged. 

What happens if I forget by hangtag?  If you forget your hangtag or change your vehicle (if registered) please visit our office to purchase a temporary hangtag for a fee of $3.00.

I have a handicap state issued placard, how do I get a handicap parking space on campus? Faculty and staff should contact HR's Equal Opportunity Services Division at  Students wanting to obtain a handicap parking space should contact  Catherine Getchell, Director of Disability Resources for assistance.  The paperwork will be competed and turn into PT&S.  Once you are granted a handicap space, you should display both the state issued placard, as well as the CMU issued handicap hang tag. All of our lots are equipped with handicap spaces, but if there is an instance that you have a temporary disability and the handicap spaces are not available, the shuttle service is available to transport you to/from your parking lot to your office.   

When will I hear if I received a permit once I have been placed on the waitlist?  We will contact you via email once a location that you have chosen becomes available.

Can someone else pick up my hangtag?  Yes, you must email an authorization letter to the person who is going to pick it up and instruct then to bring the email with them.  They must also know the location you were assigned.

I have more than one (1) car, can I get an additional hangtag?  Only one hangtag is issued per account.

I have received an email about a permit, but I did not apply.  What does this mean?

This email went out campus wide, please disregard if you did not apply.