University-wide Exchange-Study Abroad - Carnegie Mellon University

University-wide Exchange

Students applying for a University Exchange must complete the Carnegie Mellon University Exchange Application as well as the application for the university exchange program to which they are applying. Listed below are our University Exchange partners by country, with links to their exchange application site. **  Before students begin a University Exchange application, we recommend they discuss their interests first with a member of our Study Abroad Staff.
1. Step 1 - Complete the Carnegie Mellon University Exchange Application (available online through our CMU Study Abroad Portal).
2. Step 2 - Complete the appropriate University Exchange partner application.

**Countries where the US State Department has a Travel Warning in effect are not typically eligible for Exchange status.  In cases where the travel warning is location-specific within a country, the request will be reviewed by the University on a case by case basis.



Hong Kong







Exchange Programs: How They Work

Carnegie Mellon continually seeks opportunities to partner with institutions abroad to exchange students, faculty, and researchers. Because of Carnegie Mellon's active approach to making international connections, we have several exchange partners abroad. These programs are based on faculty relationships between the two institutions and have been evaluated for academic compatibility.

Exchange Programs allow students, in most cases, to use their Carnegie Mellon funding while attending a university abroad. These programs are reciprocal. We also receive students from the institutions to which we send students. This allows Carnegie Mellon students to build friendships with the students from that institution both prior to and during the study abroad experience, providing a true cultural exchange.

Carnegie Mellon students participating in these programs continue to pay tuition (billed at the junior/3rd-year level) directly to Carnegie Mellon and receive, in most cases, the same financial aid package. Students are responsible for paying all other fees, such as room and board, directly to the exchange institution.