Professor: Edward Barr
Course Number: NA
Description: To reach their highest potential, finance professionals must communicate well. The communication course for the summer covers the basics of networking, interviewing, confrontation, the development of a personal narrative, and underlying aspects of communication including culture and neuro-messaging. It does this by engaging students in role play, mock interviewing, creating an “elevator pitch” and building confidence.
- Students will learn to recognize body language and its effects in networking and interviewing
- Students will understand the cultural differences between Americans and other (high context) societies
- Students will review interviewing techniques and practice interviewing (including behavioral interviewing)
- Students will role play confrontation scenarios
- Students will understand how to construct a personal narrative and how to tell that story
- Students will write, and practice, their elevator pitch
These intense sessions will focus on preparing students for the early decisions to be made by recruiters for coveted internships. Successful completion of these sessions is a requirement for career services.
Related URL: Communications Development Program