Install Symantec AntiVirus
Uninstall any previous versions of Symantec or any anti-virus software other than Symantec (e.g., McAfee, Norton 360, etc.).
Note: For help with uninstalling other antivirus software, refer to the software vendor site or to Step 4 of the Steps to Clean Your Windows Computer document.
- Download Symantec AntiVirus.
- Close all open applications.
- Double-click the installer you downloaded to begin the installation.
- Once the installation process begins, you will be prompted as follows:
- "Do you want this computer to run as an unmanaged or managed client." Select Unmanaged client.
- "Please select a setup type." Select Typical.
- "I want to join the fight against digital cybercrime..." De-select the checkbox if you wish to opt out.
- Click Install.
- Once the installation completes the InstallShield Wizard Complete message appears. Shortly after, Symantec will automatically launch LiveUpdate to download the latest virus definition files. This may take SEVERAL MINUTES; be sure to allow it to finish.
- Once LiveUpdate completes, click Close to exit Live Update.
- Click Finish.
Note: If you use Internet Explorer, you will be prompted to enable the Symantec plugin the first time you launch IE after installing Symantec.
Download Insight Feature
This version of Symantec offers their new Download Insight feature (file reputation). For detailed information on this feature, please refer to symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH171776 -OR- symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH183109
Last Updated: 8/19/14