Spam Filter Options
Our campus email system automatically identifies some spam through certain characteristics (e.g., information in the "Subject" and "From" line of the message) and gives you options for handling spam. To ensure spam is properly filtered, follow these steps:
- Visit emailtools.cmu.edu/ and set your Spam Settings.
- If you choose to store spam in a designated mailbox (folder), create the mailbox in your email client (e.g., Outlook, Entourage) and then enter the name of the mailbox in the tool at emailtools.cmu.edu/.
Spam Filter Settings
The spam filter tool gives you the following options for handling spam:
- Turn OFF spam filtering.
You WILL RECEIVE ALL email, this includes mail that our servers score as spam.
- Turn ON spam filtering and discard spam.
Email that is scored by our mail servers as spam AND mail that YOU designate as spam will be discarded.
This option is turned on when your Andrew account is created. If you have addresses listed in the spam filter's "Accept Mail" list, DO NOT use this option. This option DOES NOT consider that list before discarding spam. If you choose the option to discard spam, there is a chance that you may delete a valid email message.
- Turn ON spam filtering and store spam in the spam mailbox you designate.
Email that is scored by our mail servers as spam AND mail that YOU designate as spam will be stored in the designated mailbox (folder). Email from addresses that are included in the "Accept Mail" list WILL be delivered to you. This option is NOT available if you have mail forwarding turned on.
Accept and Filter Mail Lists
The Accept list and Filter list options are tools for customizing your Spam Filter available through emailtools.cmu.edu/.
Note: These options are NOT available if you have mail forwarding turned on.
- The Accept Mail List allows you to identify email addresses or domains that you always want to accept mail from even if the campus email system would normally filter the mail. The mail that is received from the addresses or domains on the Accept Mail List will be delivered to your INBOX. IMPORTANT: The Accept Mail list is NOT REFERENCED when the option to DISCARD SPAM is selected.
- The Filter Mail List allows you to specify email addresses and domains that you NEVER want to accept mail from. Mail received from email addresses or domains on the Filter list will automatically be stored or discarded depending on the filter option that you selected. Note: The Accept list always takes precedence over the Filter list.
If you are receiving spam and your spam filter options are configured, follow the steps on the Report Spam page.