Auto-Migration: Specific Fields to Review
Several changes have been made to specific fields within the CMS to allow for auto-migration from v4 to v5. Review the list that applies to all sites as well as the lists specific to each page type if those page types are used on your website.
- In v4, homepage titles did not display in search results or in browser window tabs. However, in v5, the homepage title does display. After migration, you may see a generic term or a duplicate of your site’s name in search results and browser windows.
- Index – Sitename – Carnegie Mellon University
- Title – Sitename – Carnegie Mellon University
- Sitename – Sitename – Carnegie Mellon University
If so, simply change the homepage title in the CMS to “CMU” (e.g., CMU – Sitename – Carnegie Mellon University).
- The roof color will default to red. To change the color to grey or white follow the Header Configuration steps.
- The site name may display as a shortened version of the CMS site name (e.g., modlang). Update Site Name to the full official name of the department (e.g., (Department of Modern Languages).
- Logos in v5 should feature only image components, leaving the Site Name field to hold the text for the site. Logos are not carried over as part of the auto-migration process. The image portion of a logo will need to be added if desired.
- The following social network options are no longer available; Mouseover Text, Yammer, Wordpress, Orkut and FriendFeed.
Sidebars (Previously 3-Column Callout)
- The callout box options for Text Size and Label Placement are not carried over as part of auto-migration.
- An updated background and sidebar color palette has been added. Review this as part of your content and make changes in the Style field as necessary.
Sites Using News & Bios
- Subheading has a character limit of 255, so the sub-heading information may be truncated. Edit the subheading as needed.
- Main Story Photo Placement will not migrate to v5. These layout options can be acheived with Styles in v5.
- The Featured Story checkbox field is not supported in v5.
- Show Most Recent Featured Story is not supported in v5. Use Pick Articles with a News Grid instead. A News Grid will need to be created and moved to the top of the page.
- The default background color for the index is white, but can be changed to other colors. Choose from the other colors provided in the Style field.
Rotating Story Header
- The rotating story header templates in v4 news sites migrate to hero rotators in v5. Images from your v4 header will be stretched to fill the v5 hero area. These images will be blurry and pixelated. Please crop and upload larger images for your Hero rotators.
- The description field on new Short Bio pages will default to Biographies. Update the description as desired.
- The displayed name has been updated from one field to three. Review First, Middle and Last names.
- The address field has been updated from one field to four. Review Address, Address Line 2, Address Line 3 and City, State.
- Personal websites are now displayed as a short text link name rather than displaying the link URL. This will default to Website as part of the auto-migration, but can be updated.
- In v4, the page Title field was automatically added as the first heading (h1) on the page. During auto-migration, the title could not be automatically populated as an h1, so you'll want to add an h1 heading to your newly migrated pages.
- The description field on any new Bio Index page will default to Biographies. Update the description as desired.
- On Bio Index pages where categories were used to group Bios, the groupings defaulted to a single list during auto-migration. Bios will still have categories applied to them, but the Bio Index may need to be updated to refer to those categories. Please review any Bio Index pages that use categories to group Bios, to ensure that the groupings are still correct, and adjust accordingly.
- In v4, bio images were always displayed as square, despite their original shape and size. In v5, the original image proportions are preserved. This can make your bio grids look irregular. To maintain a consistent style across your bio images, it is recommended that they are cropped to 800x800 pixel squares.
Sites Using Expand/Collapse
- Urchin analytics will be turned on by default.
- The browser mixed content security issue has been prevented by the new v5 templates. Site owners will no longer need to indicate whether or not their site contains insecure content.