Why would teachers and students initiate a Community Think
Developing a think tank as a course project lets students participate in:
- A structured inquiry into a pressing community problem. See
the steps in the
and the .
- A dynamic, strongly motivated, intercultural and interpersonal
dialogue that draws out the important knowledge of the urban
community--knowledge that is usually silenced.
- A collaborative process of argument and case building that
uses diversity to build new knowledge.
- A hands-on experience using skills in research, listening,
problem analysis, and presentation to document new knowledge.
- An opportunity to make a genuine contribution to a professional
and public forum in which the rhetoric of inquiry can make a