Ph.D. Student, Tepper School of Business
Areas of Study
Sagnik is a 5th year Operations Research PhD student at the Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University, with a minor in Operations Management & Statistics. He is advised by R. Ravi and works with Andrew Li and Sridhar Tayur.
Sagnik cherishes his acquired recipe for research - partnering with companies to work on interesting real-world problems and abstract useful models. Using his work with Onera, a solutions provider to top North American omnichannel retailers, he introduced pick failure in the order fulfillment optimization literature. During his internship at Precima, a consulting firm to leading North American retailers, he was tasked with making COVID-robust sales prediction, which led to a novel matrix completion based model. He is currently engaged in practice-based research with Sridhar Tayur for a leading e-commerce retailer to help them modernize their supply chain.
Before coming to CMU, Sagnik earned an MS in Industrial Engineering from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). Prior to that, he worked at Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad with Sachin Jayaswal, who introduced him to Operations Research. He is passionate about teaching and featured 3 times in the List of Teachers Ranked Excellent at UIUC.
Sagnik is on the 2021-22 academic job market and will present his work at INFORMS
- in-person session SB29 on Oct 24, 7.45 AM-9.15 AM PST, and
- virtual session VWC69 on Oct 27, 11 AM-12.30 PM PST.
- Carnegie Mellon University - MS (Operations Research) - 2019
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - MS (Industrial Engineering) - 2017
- National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur - BTech (Electronics and Communication Engineering) - 2013
- Order Fulfilment under Pick Failure in Omnichannel Ship From Store Programs
(author(s): Sagnik Das, R. Ravi, Srinath Sridhar)
Manufacturing and Services Operations Management, major revision
- A Matrix Completion Approach for Baseline Sales Prediction
(authors: Sagnik Das, Lanshan Han, Andrew Li, Alvin Lim)
- A cutting plane approach to combinatorial bandwidth packing problem with queuing delays
(author(s): Sachin Jayaswal, Navneet Vidyarthi, Sagnik Das)
Optimization Letters, 2016
- Instructor (UG) – Optimization for Business
- TA (UG) – Operations Management, Optimization for Business
- TA (MBA) – Operations Management, Service Management: Go-to-Market Strategy and Operations, Pricing Strategy, Modern Data Management, Entrepreneurship through Acquisition
- TA (PhD) – Integer Programming, Advanced Integer Programming