Students and Faculty Honored During Commencement Weekend for Scholastic Achievements, and Excellence in Teaching and Research
At the conclusion of each academic year, faculty members and students at the doctorate, graduate and undergraduate levels are recognized for their achievements and contributions to the Tepper School of Business.
In acknowledgement of their outstanding work with students and exceptional classroom instruction, three distinguished faculty teaching awards were announced during the 2015 Graduate Degree Diploma Ceremony. Winners of graduate (MBA, MSCF) and undergraduate (Business, Economics) student awards were also announced during the 2015 Tepper School Diploma Ceremony and Carnegie Mellon University Commencement Ceremony. Additionally, three Ph.D. candidates were honored with dissertation awards in recognition of excellence in research earlier this year.
2015 George Leyland Bach Award (MBA) — Fallaw Sowell, associate professor of economics
This award was created in 1985 when the Graduate School of Industrial Administration Teaching Award, established in 1976, was renamed in honor of Dean Bach. “Lee” Bach was the visionary founding dean of Carnegie Mellon’s graduate business school, whose research and academic rigor dramatically altered U.S. business management education. The annual honoree for outstanding classroom instruction is chosen by the graduating MBA class from a list of faculty member nominees.
2015 Gerald Thompson Award (Undergraduate Business) — Oliver Hahl, assistant professor of organizational behavior and theory
This award is named in honor of Gerald Thompson, the IBM Professor of Systems and Operations Research and faculty member from 1951-2001. Thompson is warmly remembered as a highly popular educator who dedicated his career to teaching and effective research. Recipients of this distinction for outstanding classroom instruction are selected by the undergraduate business students and the undergraduate business program administration.
2015 Richard Cyert Award (Economics) — Ariel Zetlin-Jones, assistant professor of economics
This award is named in honor of “Dick” Cyert, one of the original developers of Carnegie Mellon’s graduate business school and its second dean, who also served as CMU president from 1972-1990. The award was established in 1984 to honor teaching excellence in the undergraduate economics program. Faculty candidates are chosen by a selection committee based on criteria that include innovation in the classroom and syllabus, class size and contributions to extracurricular and metacurricular activities.
The 2015 Gerald L. Thompson Doctoral Dissertation Award in Management Science
- Andre Augusto Cire: “Decision Diagrams for Optimization”
- Advisors: Willem-Jan van Hoeve, assistant professor of operations research; John N. Hooker, T. Jerome Holleran Professor of Business Ethics and Social Responsibility; professor of operations research
- Elina Hyeunjung Hwang: “Knowledge Sharing and Creation Through Social Media in Organizations”
- Advisors: Linda Argote, David M. Kirr and Barbara A. Kirr Professor of Organizational Behavior and Theory; director of the Center of Organizational Learning, Innovation and Knowledge; Param Vir Singh, associate professor of business technologies; Carnegie Bosch Junior Chair in Information Sciences
The William W. Cooper Doctoral Dissertation Award in Management or Management Science
- Xiao Liu: “Marketing Solutions Enabled by Big Data Using Structural Models”
- Advisors:Alan Montgomery, associate professor of marketing; Kannan Srinivasan, H.J. Heinz II Professor of Management, Marketing and Information Systems
- Francis G. Walker Award for Excellence in Strategy — Ronald Cardwell
- John R. Thorne Award for Excellence in Entrepreneurship — Fariborz Hosseini
- Award for Excellence in Finance — Matthew Plunkett
- Robert S. Sullivan Distinguished Community Service Award — Edward Hirsh
- Award for Excellence in Marketing — Jay Jovick
- Outstanding Academic Achievement Award — Tyler Deschamps and Matthew Plunkett
- Elliot Dunlap Smith Award — Gregory Martin
- Edward R. Mosier Award for Excellence in Production Operations — Ellen Abbott
- Yuji Ijiri Award for Excellence in Accounting — Supasuta Chutimawong
- Accelerate Award for Excellence in Organizational Behavior, Communication and Leadership – Jared Worful
- Outstanding TA Awards — Cameron Connor, Mudit Gupta, Nidhi Singh, Aastha Sobti, Jared Worful
- Academic Excellence in Finance Award — Jeffrey (Zhiyuan) Chen and Ivan Nikolenko
- Academic Excellence in Information Technology Award — Daniel Lee
- Academic Excellence in Mathematics Award — Jeffrey (Zhiyuan) Chen, Noelle (Nuoya) Hong, Evans (Yu) Xiang
- Academic Excellence in Statistics Award — Evans (Yu) Xiang
- MSCF Distinguished Service Award (Pittsburgh) — Rintip Nirundonpruk
- MSCF Distinguished Service Award (New York) — Andy (Aohan) Sun
Undergraduate Business Awards
- Outstanding Academic Achievement Award — Gregory S. Foster
- Outstanding Student Leadership Award — Nicholas J. Gardiner
- Distinguished Service Award — Bryn Raschke
Undergraduate Economics Awards
- Best Oral Presentations at Meeting of the Minds — Brent Heard: "An Econometric Estimation of Deadweight Loss in Pennsylvania's Water Market" and Stanley Krasner: "Examining Applications of Fourier Transforms to Financial Data and Covariance Estimation"
- Best Senior Project — Kelsey Choing, Danielle McKinney and Yasmi Venema: "Examining the Relationship Between Education Inequality and Income Inequality"
- Academic Excellence Award — Danielle McKinney
- Outstanding Pedagogical Service Award — Danielle McKinney
- Undergraduate Economics Program Distinguished Service Award — Stanley Krasner
- Undergraduate Economics Program Outstanding Student Leadership Award — Andres Anzola
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society Inductees — Ronald Fudala, Jonghwan Lee, Daniel McKinney, Richa Mohan, David Moss, Mei Huey Ong, Sam Walters, Stanley Krasner, Ian Meeker
- Senior Leadership Recognition Awards — Andres Anzola, Manuel Garber, Brent Heard, Radowan Khan, Stanley Krasner, Brian Lee, Tammy Lew, Karn Mishra, Danielle McKinney