Meredith Meyer Grelli
Assistant Teaching Professor of EntrepreneurshipDownload Hi-res Photo
Meredith Meyer Grelli has founded and runs two beverage companies and has founded three non-profit organizations. She is an entrepreneur, author, and educator with an unsinkable interest in community and economic development.
Meredith teaches Entrepreneurship at Carnegie Mellon University's Tepper School of Business. She is also the Co-Founder and Co-Owner of Wigle Whiskey and Threadbare Cider & Mead, operating seven sites throughout Western PA and distributing spirits and cider throughout the country. Wigle Whiskey was Pittsburgh's first distillery since Prohibition. Since beginning distilling in December 2011, Meredith has worked to restore Pittsburgh’s legacy as the Birthplace of American Whiskey, as well as change the regulatory framework in which distilleries in Pennsylvania can operate.
Meredith is a two-time James Beard Award Semi-Finalist; 2018 Imbibe 75 Beverage Professionals to Watch; the author of The Whiskey Rebellion & The Rebirth of Rye and the Founder of the Whiskey Rebellion Trail, which connects 75 distilleries and cultural sites across the Mid-Atlantic. The Distillery has been the most awarded Craft Whiskey Distillery in the US By the American Craft Spirits Association for five consecutive years. Threadbare Ciders have won numerous medals at the Great Lakes International Cider & Perry Competition.
Before starting Wigle and Threadbare, Meredith worked in brand management at the Kraft Heinz Company, worked in community development, studied cooking at Le Cordon Bleu Paris and received her BS in urban history and geography at University of Chicago. While she was in graduate school, Meredith co-founded a Pittsburgh urban beekeeping organization and started the nation's first community apiary. She is currently Secretary of the Board of Visit Pittsburgh.
Meredith is a frequent speaker at a variety of Universities and Fortune 500 Companies.
- University of Chicago (BS)
- Le Cordon Bleu Paris (Cuisine Diploma)
- Carnegie Mellon University (MBA)
- Brown University (MBSR Training)
- Whiskey Rebellion & The Rebirth of Rye
(author(s): Mark Meyer, Meredith Meyer Grelli)
Belt Publishing, 2017
Awards and Honors
- James Beard Semi-Finalist for Outstanding Wine, Spirits, Beer Professional (2018 & 2019)
- Alumna of the Year, Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon University (2016)
- 100 Women to Watch in the US by the Business Times (2016)
- 75 Professionals to Watch, Imbibe Magazine
- Forte Fellow (2008-2010)
- Canfield Roseman Entrepreneur of the Year Award (2010)
- Harold Goettler Political Institutions Prize (2006)