NEW as of 4/8/19: Weekend Traffic Advisory: Section of Forbes To Close
PennDOT has informed the university that construction crews will be resurfacing Forbes Avenue between the Birmingham Bridge and Craft Avenue April 12-13, weather permitting. The work will close that stretch of Forbes Avenue, causing traffic restrictions that may impact many of you traveling to campus for Reunion Weekend and/or Spring Carnival. Detour signs will be posted but here are two suggested alternate routes to campus if you’re traveling from the west and south.
If you’re traveling eastbound on I-376, the Oakland exit will be closed. Therefore:
• Continue traveling east on I-376 and take the Squirrel Hill/Homestead exit.
• Turn left into Squirrel Hill onto Forward Avenue.
• Turn left onto Murray Avenue.
• Turn left onto Forbes Avenue, which will lead you to campus.
If you’re traveling westbound on I-376, the Bates Street/Oakland exit will be open.
If you’re traveling to campus from the South Side, the Forbes Avenue Exit off the Birmingham Bridge will be closed. Therefore:
• From Carson Street take the Hot Metal Bridge to Second Avenue.
• Make a left on Second Avenue
• Turn right on Bates Street.
• Turn left on S. Bouquet Street.
• Make a right-hand turn on Forbes Avenue, which will lead you to campus.
Also, please note that Margaret Morrison Street, Tech Street, Frew Street, Circuit Road and Schenley Drive (Panther Hollow and Schenley bridges included) will be closed from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, April 12, and Saturday, April 13 for Spring Carnival’s Sweepstakes Buggy Races.
Rooms have been reserved for Tepper School reunion celebrants at a variety of local hotels. Please specify "CMU, Tepper Alumni Reunion" when calling to make your reservations. Some class committees have identified committee-preferred hotels, but please note these are not limitations. All alumni are welcome to book at any of the hotels listed below. Blocks will remain open until the noted cut-off date or until the block is full if that happens sooner than the cut-off date.
Campus Area Hotels
Cut-off date: March 13
Preferred hotel for the classes of 2009, 2014, and 2018
Rates range from $134-$189/night, depending on room selected
Cut-off date: March 13
Preferred hotel for the class of 2004
Rate: 15% off best available rates for Reunion attendees when you enter promo code: TEPPERALUM
Downtown Area Hotels
Cut-off date: March 22
Preferred hotel for the class of 1989
Travel for Reunion: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to know about parking for Reunion?
Because of Spring Carnival, parking on campus will be heavily restricted during the Tepper School Reunion Weekend. Please see the CMU Carnival FAQ page for more information about Transportation and Parking during April 12-13. Consider your transportation plans before arriving in Pittsburgh. Additional information regarding travel to campus and around town can be found on our directions page. Please note that parking details on the directions page do not apply during Reunion Weekend.
Where should I park on campus?
Please see the CMU Carnival FAQ page for more detailed information about transportation and parking during April 12-13. An overview of general parking options is listed below.
East Campus Garage: Adjacent to the Cohon University Center, the pay-as-you-park East Campus Garage is conveniently located within walking distance to the center of campus and the Tepper Quad.
- GPS Address: 5040 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- Friday: UPDATED: No longer available on Friday until
5pm.Leaseholders only before 5pm.
- Saturday: Free parking will be available in the East Campus Garage on a first-come, first served basis.
Carnegie Mellon University is an urban campus and parking is very limited. If the East Campus Garage is full, please refer to the additional visitor parking options. On-street metered parking is also available along Frew Street, Tech Street, Margaret Morrison, and Schenley Drive. Meter rates and times vary.
Additional parking may be available in the following locations:
Dithridge Street Garage
10-min. walk to CMU campus center
GPS Address: 252 S Dithridge St., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Rates: Weekdays: $12 max daily rate; $5 weekends and weekdays after 5 p.m.
5-min. walk to CMU campus center
GPS Address: 409 S. Neville St., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Continue right on access road past the CIC Garage
Rates: Weekdays: $14 maximum rate; $5 weekend and weekdays after 5 p.m.
5-min. walk to
GPS Address: 594-598 Boundary St., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
At the entrance, take the ramp to the left
Rates: Daily: $16 maximum rate
Morewood Surface Lot
5-min. walk to
GPS Address: 1046 Morewood Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Free weekend parking will be available in the Morewood Lot beginning Friday at
Parking for the disabled available in the East Campus Garage. The garage will require the blue decal being presented (pass or license) plate to utilize the spaces.
Are golf carts and wheel chairs available?
Should you need assistance onsite, visit the Registration & Welcome Tent at the CMU Alumni Association area on Midway (Rain location: Wean Commons, Cohon University Center). If you would like to request a wheelchair in advance, please call 866-401-9529.
What app-based ride service companies are active in Pittsburgh?
Which hotels offer shuttle service?
Some local hotels provide complimentary shuttle service to and from campus throughout the weekend. A tentative summary of hotel block shuttle service is listed below for your reference. Please check with your hotel for more details and use specifications.
- HYATT House Pittsburgh/Bloomfield/Shadyside: Shuttle service is available to and from campus and within a three-mile radius; not available to Heinz Field. Shuttle service is available daily from 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Guests are asked to make a reservation at the front desk.
- SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square: Shuttle service is available to and from campus and within a three-mile radius; not available to Heinz Field. Guests must make arrangements upon check-in to guarantee shuttle availability. Shuttle service is available daily from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh Downtown: No shuttle service available
- Kimpton Hotel Monaco Pittsburgh: No shuttle service available
- Ace Hotel Pittsburgh: No shuttle service available
- Oaklander Hotel: No shuttle service available
Is there a university shuttle service?
Fixed-route shuttle service is available for alumni free of charge from Carnegie Mellon University. View route information and track buses on the Carnegie Mellon Shuttle and Escort Service site.