NYC Tech & Entrepreneurship
The NYC Tech & Entrepreneurship group provides a venue to network with fellow Carnegie Mellon Alumni working or interested in the NYC technology industry. The goal is to provide an environment in which you can meet fellow alumni that have founded or lead tech startups, learn from each others' experiences, gain insight and advice on starting a company and discover new opportunities or find talent for your own. In addition to regular member meetings the group also engages with CMU in order to build a stronger connection by the university and the NY tech industry.
If you would like to get involved in future CMU Alumni efforts, we are looking for:
- Volunteers (help with planning talks, workshops, social events, community building)
- Event space (for panel talks, startup pitch, dinner gatherings, casual drinks)
- Your ideas (topics, events, speakers, other)
- Your feedback
October 10, 2019
The Tech Night
The next big tech unicorns are going to come from several rising tech hubs, including Eastern Europe. So how do you find them?
Please join us for The Tech Night, taking place on Thurs, Oct 10 from 6:30 p.m – 9:30 p.m. near Lincoln Center.
Ten of the hottest startups from the region will be flying in for the event, which is designed to create conversations, develop relationships and link NYC to the most exciting early-stage startups in Eastern Europe.
Organized by Techni Ventures
September 26, 2019
Panel Discussion: The Power of AI in the Workplace, hosted by Liquidnet
September 26, 2019
6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Liquidnet Headquarters, 620 8th Avenue, 20th floor, New York, NY 10018
$5/person (Proceeds go towards future NY Tech and Entrepreneurship events)
Join CMU + Liquidnet for a lively discussion on effective AI implementation within the workplace.
Moderator, Evan Schnidman, Ph.D (Head of Prattle Analytics, a Liquidnet Company), will stir up insights with speakers Andrew Arnold, Ph.D (Machine Learning Research, Google; CS 2007, 2009), Tom Doris, Ph.D (Global Head of Data Science, Liquidnet) and Manuela Veloso, Ph.D (Head of AI Research, J.P. Morgan; Herbert Simon University Professor, SCS; CS 1989, 1992), addressing topics such as:
- How can companies effectively implement AI across the firm, within the division, or even within a group?
- How do you build an effective AI/ML team?
- Where is AI/ML already implemented and what could it look like in five years?
May 8, 2019
Sarabeth’s, 381 Park Ave South (27th Street), New York
$35/Person (includes salad, main course, dessert, nonalcoholic beverages and wine)
- Frances Ning (E 2002, CS 2002, E 2003) | Senior Research Analyst, Credit Suisse | CMU NYC Alumni Board Tech & Entrepreneurship Committee Chair
- Allis Ghim (TPR 1995) | President & CEO, Chairman of the Board, Bidsquare Curated online marketplace for leading auction houses and dealers
- William Lee (TPR 2019) | Co-Founder & CEO, EpigenCare and COO, EpiGentek Personalized epigenetic-based skincare platform
- Justin Weinberg (E 2018) | Co-Founder & CEO, 101 Next-generation active learning platform for promoting student engagement in college STEM courses
Topics to be discussed include scaling the business (challenges in operations, expanding the client base) and lessons learned in hiring and managing talent as the startup or business evolves.
Please contact Frances Ning:
- If you are interested in attending future dinner & discussion events with CMU Tech & Entrepreneurship leaders
- If you are a Tech or Entrepreneurship leader and wish to be involved in events such as this
- If you have other ideas on building the tech & entrepreneurship community in NYC and wish to volunteer
We'll keep a list and if there is enough interest, we'll organize another one and send you an invitation!
July 11, 2018
Event Host: Galvanize NYC
Co-founder, Maison & Partner at HwC Venture
Co-founder & Co-CEO, Snowe
May 12, 2015
Event Host: Fahrenheit 212
Event Host: Marcus Oliver
Partner, Head of Ideas at Fahrenheit 212
Co-founder, Cheif Product Officer at Glip, Inc.
Co-founder, CEO at Glip, Inc.
Co-founder, CIO at Glip, Inc.
March 23, 2015
Event Host: Flatiron School
VP of Education, Flatiron School
February 24, 2015
Event Host: Pryor Cashman LLP
Partner, Pryor Cashman LLP
June 24, 2014
Event Host: Fino Consulting
CTO, Fino Consulting
June 11, 2013
Event Host: Yext
Engineering Manager, Yext
Software Engineer, Yext