Starting Off The Year Right
Here are some tips to getting your organization off on the right foot this year:
1. Transition Your Executive Board: the best way to sustain the success of your organization is to successfully transition information; here are topics to start the discussion. We recommend that you create your own transition binder or files that are tailored to your organization.
2. Make sure your organization's page on The Bridge is updated. Update your roster section for new leadership and check pending statuses for members. Please make sure all contact information is accurate. Add events and meetings, so incoming and current students see what you are doing.
3. Participate in the mandatory training sessions: the Tartan Leader Conference (TLC) has replaced the former Mandatory Student Organization and Authorized Signer Trainings. The TLC will balances networking opportunities with more focused discussions aimed at helping students thrive as organization leaders and CMU community members.
4. Communicate with Student Government: a good relationship with StuGov can be extremely beneficial for groups throughout the year. The Student Body Vice President for Finance (SBVPF) and the Student Body Vice President for Organizations (SBVPO) are two executive positions that facilitate several important student organization processes related to organization finances and re-recognition.
5. Make sure your finances are in order: make sure that you are comparing your organization financial ledger to the transactions that are hitting your organization account(s) by visiting your organization’s finance tab on The Bridge. Read through important policies on how to spend your money in the Finances Management section the SLICE website.
6. Connect with an advisor: though advisors are not required, they are a great resource for student organizations, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
7. Communicate with your members and plan your first meeting to kick off the academic year. The Activities Fair is a great way to start recruiting!
8. Review key University Policies: stay up to date on The Word.
9. Plan events and meetings: Check out our Program Management section on our website to get started in the right direction. Events and initiatives are a great way to not only get your members involved and engaged with your organization, but also for the CMU community to get connected and active with your group.
10. Visit SLICE: Throughout the year our office is here to assist you with any questions you may have; stop by the Cohon Center SLICE First Floor or Lower Level Offices.